Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm prevention before splitting  (Read 1367 times)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Swarm prevention before splitting
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:20:44 pm »
Good evening everyone. I just reread MB's section on swarm prevention. I also just made 2, 8 frame hives into 5. So, my question really has to do with the rest of this year and next year. How early is too early to open the brood nest? Also The bees still had about half of an 8 frame medium box that they had not drawn out (bottom of three). So, I guess that I am still a little confused about space management in the Spring.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm prevention before splitting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
Did you take 2 8f hives and make 5 splits? You may be stretching it too thin. Maybe not, your flow is probably on right now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 10:17:34 am »
> How early is too early to open the brood nest?

Good question.  I added this to the page:
When to open the brood nest

It?s best to do this as early as they can fill the gap, where you want to put the empty frame, with festooning bees before they start getting ?honey bound.?

This should be done anytime in the spring when the nights are no longer frosty and when you observe the brood nest getting clogged with honey and the brood nest contracting instead of expanding, while the population of bees is peaking and before they start building swarm cells.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm#when
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 08:20:14 am »
Michael, would you do this also in the fall when you have a hive that is booming and a flow on?

Mick

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:46:20 am »
Started with 2, 8 frame medium hives each in 2.5 boxes. Ended up with 5 hives total. Put at least one capped queen cell, 2 frames of brood, and one frame of honey and pollen into the 3 splits. In the original hives, I moved half of the frames into the top box and added empty frames in their place. I didn't disturb the half drawn bottom box. A thunder storm had just passed through, and it was already starting to get dark.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:41 pm »
>Michael, would you do this also in the fall when you have a hive that is booming and a flow on?

Not here.  If there is a fall flow they are busy storing it, not preparing to swarm.  I can't say what they do in Brisbane...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin