Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: raising queens  (Read 3126 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
raising queens
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
i am in northern california, what moth is best to start messing with my hive and start trying to raise queens out of it?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: raising queens
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »
I don't know about your area, but I personally would not be able to use a certain moth to raise queens :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »
Hi Ron, how are you doing?

I think May through July make good queens for me, but some of that answer depends on what you want from your queens and of course the weather that year.  Sometimes I add drone comb around end of Feb/first of March and start the queen rearing near middle of march to first of April, but for me so far, the better queens come later. I think the weather is better and more stable a little later, like in May, after the April showers and during the May flowers.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:57 pm »
  the time to start if you want early is once night time temps are at or above 50 deg, so around here end of april start of may-any earlier and its just practice- ;) RDY-B

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:20:44 am »
thanks guys thats the answer i was looking for, i cant wait to play with and make queens next year

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 12:30:21 pm »
I'm not from there, of course, but a lot of drones is a good indication they have the resources and inclination to rear queens.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything