Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding and SHB  (Read 3263 times)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Feeding and SHB
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:40 am »
Having done a bit of research and alot of help from ya'll, I ran across a sugestion to stop feeding syrup or pollen if there are SHB in the hive. My only concern is my hive is young (one month) and still drawing lots of comb (still in first brood box).

Should I stop feeding or just continue battling the SHB with traps and a hive tool?

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Feeding and SHB
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:11 am »
Pollen patties can definately be an attractant to SHB.  You shouldn't need pollen now.  I would keep feeding sugar though. 

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:22:55 am »
Pollen patties can definately be an attractant to SHB.  You shouldn't need pollen now.  I would keep feeding sugar though. 

I believe that is true and whilst I have never used them those that have in SHB territory say that they cannot be left in the hive for much more than a few days otherwise they become infested with SHB eggs

Mick

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:34:18 am »
Seems like SlickMick and I are on a SHB control campaign..  :)   Never leave pollen unprotected in or out the hive.  The SHB will get to it quickly.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »
Yes Matt. I dont trust the little boogers. They work too fast for anyone in SHB territory to be complacent in any way

Mick

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:37:03 am »
Yes stop pollen feed just syrup. And inside division board feeder give shb a great place to hide.
John 3:16

anything