Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making Wooden Ware  (Read 10147 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Making Wooden Ware
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:43 pm »

Well in desperate need of woodenware I got on the phone to price some 1x8 lumber.
Home Depot 1x8x12 cost: 14.99 linear ft is $1.49
Home Hardware 1x8x16 cost 8.99 linear ft is $ .56 <<< Local lumber company in SE Louisiana and Mostly in Miss.
Made 10 and three quarter boxes of mediums with three 16 ft'ers at approx. $ 3.63 per box.
If I would have went the Depot route my cost would have approx. cost me $7.49 per box.
It is crazy the markup on some materials at the big box boys. Sometimes shopping local can save you a ton.
Check out the little girl inspecting the equipment.  :)
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Making Wooden Ware
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:10 pm »
i sell building materials for a living and years ago i worked for home depot.  the gross profit margin on any lumber at the box stores is at least 30 points.  they will sell osb at or below cost as a loss leader but they gig you on everything else. in their defense most of their product is high grade.
next time you need lumber contact a company like Probuild, or 84 lumber and buy there.  if you find one person you can deal with on a regular basis you'll end up getting better pricing. if you'll set up an account you'll definitely get better pricing (cash transactions are a pain for actual building supply companies) and you get net 30 on your purchase.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:17:02 pm »
i am also in south east Louisiana. My neighbor as a sawmill. Got him to cut me up some 1x8x16 cypress and picked it up earlier today, but he wouldn't take my money. Finally got him to take $20 for the gas of running his mill. Hope he likes honey because there is plenty coming his way... :-D Looks good blanc... How do you join the corners of your boards? Dove tail, Rabbet, etc...  
Marshall

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
here's another tip.  the cost per foot usually jumps quite a bit on anything over 14 feet.  if you can work with 10 12 or 14 ft material and control your scrap you'll see more savings.  

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:20:59 pm »
i sell building materials for a living and years ago i worked for home depot.  the gross profit margin on any lumber at the box stores is at least 30 points.  they will sell osb at or below cost as a loss leader but they gig you on everything else. in their defense most of their product is high grade.
next time you need lumber contact a company like Probuild, or 84 lumber and buy there.  if you find one person you can deal with on a regular basis you'll end up getting better pricing. if you'll set up an account you'll definitely get better pricing (cash transactions are a pain for actual building supply companies) and you get net 30 on your purchase.

Problem is 10 that this hardware place is only 15 min away and 84 is 35 Min's so no savings there. My son used to run lumber at the Home Depot here and told me about the give aways verses the big markup and being a contractor we get stuck buying there because of the close proximity.
Blanc
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:23:38 pm »
i am also in south east Louisiana. My neighbor as a sawmill. Got him to cut me up some 1x8x16 cypress and picked it up earlier today, but he wouldn't take my money. Finally got him to take $20 for the gas of running his mill. Hope he likes honey because there is plenty coming his way... :-D Looks good blanc... How do you join the corners of your boards? Dove tail, Rabbet, etc...  
I use this kreg tool that corner screws since I don't have the patience to dovetail and don't have the setup for it. Did a few boxes last year and holding pretty tight so for.
Blanc

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:28:05 pm »
so you are using a pocket jig. Are you just butting up the ends or are you cutting them on a 45 degree angle and then screwing them? I might go that same route...
Marshall

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »
i don't work for 84 and i just checked and my company doesn't have a location in la. 84 charges delivery but we don't and when i worked for builders first source i charged 2 dollars.  you're a little out of my delivery range. 

Moots

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:12 pm »
Yeah, I've been getting my wood at Home Depot, hadn't actually shopped it around but figured I might do better locally. However, ther is something to be said for the convenience and actually being able to go through and select your boards.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »
so you are using a pocket jig. Are you just butting up the ends or are you cutting them on a 45 degree angle and then screwing them? I might go that same route...
Straight butt with glue and holds tight. Real impressed and at the price I can build them I can't complain.
Blanc

Moots

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »
Straight butt with glue and holds tight. Real impressed and at the price I can build them I can't complain.
Blanc

I had visions of doing finger joints originally...given my available equipment and skill set, it became apparent rather quickly that that wasn't gonna happen.  :)

Decided to go with a single rabbet on my short boards. it's a nice fit, fairly simple, and cuts the amount of exposed end grain in half. I'm pleased with them, we'll see how they hold up.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:46:57 pm »
Haven't heard of Home Hardware, I like Economy Supply in Hattiesburg.  They usually have a good grade of lumber.  But for now I have a couple of stacks of 1x8x12's out in the crib.  Been using them for years, Dad got them 50 or so years ago.  Cut your boards, run by the router, glue and nail, staple or screw em together.
This year I used liquid nails instead of glue and staples.  Have a jig set up whip em out fairly quick.

Joe

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »

I had visions of doing finger joints originally...given my available equipment and skill set, it became apparent rather quickly that that wasn't gonna happen.  :)

Decided to go with a single rabbet on my short boards. it's a nice fit, fairly simple, and cuts the amount of exposed end grain in half. I'm pleased with them, we'll see how they hold up.

Yuuupp, 3/4 rabbet ftw!  Heres a tip if your boards are cupping some.  Cut all your pieces and stack them flat.  Put a ton of weight on em, and let them sit for a few weeks, then put em together.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 12:06:14 am »
Ya I just looked online at some prices and menards has a nice sale.  Online their prices seemed to be cut in half.  So tomorrow I am going to load up on lumber.  Let's see if I can get an additional 10 deeps and 10 meds out of this deal.  Once that's done I must turn my attention to frames.

I am all about butt joints, wood glue, and deck screws.  I would just mess us any other joints. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline tommysnare

• Brood
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 12:32:57 am »
is it really economical to build ur own frames ? looks like would be a nightmare hahaha.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:10 am »
is it really economical to build ur own frames ? looks like would be a nightmare hahaha.

if he doesn't use foundation he should be able to eliminate a lot of cuts.  i would think you start with a pice of 2x material and a table saw the end bars could be shaped then sliced off of the 2x4 and top and bottoms with no grooves would be a couple of rips and chops.
that being said, i buy mine.  if i were semi-retired or self-e,ployed i'd probably make my own though.

Moots

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:06:03 pm »

if he doesn't use foundation he should be able to eliminate a lot of cuts.  i would think you start with a pice of 2x material and a table saw the end bars could be shaped then sliced off of the 2x4 and top and bottoms with no grooves would be a couple of rips and chops.
that being said, i buy mine.  if i were semi-retired or self-e,ployed i'd probably make my own though.

One of the local beeks I've met, that happens to be retired, makes his own frames....rips everything from 2X4's.  I KNEW I wasn't going there so didn't get many details.  Next time I see him I'll inquire further...but I'm almost positive he uses foundation and does them up the whole way.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
i wrote 2x4 but i meant 2x10.  still, a small wood shop with maybe a table saw, a radial arm saw (or compound miter) and a table router should be able to produce more than adequate equipment. 
if i were at the point that i could just farm i'd build all my own equipment in the winter.   

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
Wrapping up the 300 medium boxes & 3,000 Foundationless Frames I began in the Fall. 1-1/2" & 1-1/4 side bars from scrap 2" x 4" (cut 2 x 4 to length, slab cut on table saw to respective width(s), run thru dado on both ends for top/bottom bars, run thru router on narrow side of 2 x 4 for bee space, run thru table saw w/thin kerf blade one gets 7 end pieces per 2 x 4 section. Get your saw miller to cut a little heavy (thickness) on some 1" x 8" x 8' (I pay $2.35 per board rough cut). Plan 1" x 8" x 8' to 7/8 thick, cut boards to top bar length then run thru dado for frame rest cuts then rip the 1" x 8" x 8' to 1-1/8" widths, then make side bar dado cuts, then run thru router with 45 degree chamfer bit. Retired here with more time than money on hands. Got an older fellow, who I help out with BVT, who is going to build me an assembly jig for the boxes (sweet jig on you tube) and he is also building a small vat that I had hoped to hot wax dip (another sweet video on you tube of the vat & paint stand) the boxes in however the wax is going to be a little to costly for me at this time assuming my calculations are correct?

Based on extra space and Deep/Bottom Board: L = 24” x W = 19” x H = 10”

=4,560in/cu

if, 2in/cu=1oz         

then; 4,560in/cu / 2i/cu =2280oz

and; 2280/16=142lbs Is enough to just cover a Deep Box (the vat is actually 9-1/2" taller to take care of frothing)

Two 55lb packages micro-crystalline wax w/180 degree melt point 110lbs x $3lb = $330

Two 55lb packages paraffin wax w/140 degree melt point 110lbs x $2lb = $220

4 Packages shp@$40each = 200

Total $750

Any Beekeepers close to Roswell, Georgia that may want to share wax start up costs? Note the actual dipping process only sucks up about 1lb per box but the vat has to be full of wax in order to submerge a box, LOL
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 06:32:20 pm »
scooter are you selling any of that equipment?  if so, i'm interested.
now i'll show my ignorance.  i know nothing about the hot wax dip.  is there a reason you can't dip the pieces before you assemble the hive body?  that would take a lot smaller vat and less wax at one time.
is there a reason that the hive body needs to be assembled during the vatting?