Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HONEY SUPER ABOVE THE BROOD BOXES: SHOULD I REMOVE?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
HONEY SUPER ABOVE THE BROOD BOXES: SHOULD I REMOVE?
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:54:16 am »
i have a shallow box above my brood boxes that i put on last month. not much honey production going on here this time of the yr. they started to draw some comb in that super. would it be OK to remove it? its 99% empty!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: HONEY SUPER ABOVE THE BROOD BOXES: SHOULD I REMOVE?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:32:09 am »
i have a shallow box above my brood boxes that i put on last month. not much honey production going on here this time of the yr. they started to draw some comb in that super. would it be OK to remove it? its 99% empty!

It is not only OK,  but probably the best for them.  Restricting their space for winter is best.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline rufus

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
Should the super just be removed for safe keeping or should it be left out away from the hive to allow robbing back to the hive?

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:09:45 pm »
Always remove a partially filled super because the bees will move onto that super and possibly work themselves into a corner and not to where the food stores are and perish .  The best bet that i would do is take the super off and let the bees rob the honey  back into the hive.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:56:03 am »
But place the super away from the hive if you will let them rob it out. Don't want to start a robbing situation.  Not sure how far is far enough, but I always take my supers about 100 feet away.