Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally Made It.  (Read 1910 times)

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
Finally Made It.
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
Hey everyone.  I just wanted to stop here first and introduce myself.

I'm Phil.  I'm in High Point, NC. I'm brand new to beekeeping.  My first hive is from a cut out that I did with one of my friends that has a couple hives, but had never done a cut out before.  Needless to say, I think that I'm lucky that we saved the hive. 
I researched cut outs a little after doing it and JP and Schawee have made me realize how lucky I got.

I didn't have catch the queen in the cut out.  But I used rubber bands and installed the brood combs, Sideways.  The workers made A queen cell.  She has hatched, and made a mating flight.  There is now capped brood and larvas. 
All the combs are attached the the frames.  There is some cross combing between the frames happening.  They have also started building out the other 2 frames of foundation.  I have a full deep with an additional 5 frames of foundation ready to move the bees into. 

How do you know when it is time to move them from the NUC to the Full deep?

Phil

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Finally Made It.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum and when the nuc is mostly full of bees, 70%, move them to a 10 frame box.

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »
I talked with my friend whom I did the cut out on the originally.  Told him I was getting ready to move the bees to the deep.  Said I thought would would be great if I could get a frame of brood from him to give the hive a boost of bees going into the new deep. 
He said I could have one from each of his hives. 
Is there any issues with adding brood combs to a hive that is just getting going?  Should I inspect the frames for anything before putting them into the hive?

Should I be starting a hive thread for these questions?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »
Welcome. I suggest you have someone inspect your bees to make sure you do not have an Africanized colony.  I run with all medium boxes due to the weight of a full deep box. You can also mix the boxes (two deeps for the brood and mediums for the suppers.)
As for mixing the bees from different colones, I have heard of beeks trying it but never read of their success or failures. Maybe someone who has tried it can give you their take and the acceptance of the original queen with the incoming bees.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:35:08 pm »
My hive is SUPER.  Nice and calm. 
My friends hive is not nice at all.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
No AHB in NC. Place the frames, minus the bees, in your hive. It will be a nice boost for them.

Randolph, Guilford, Forsyth, and davidson counties all have nice bee clubs. Join all or some of them, there's a lot of free help when needed. Both Randolph and Guilford have websites with mentor lists on them. Beeks who will visit and go through your hives with you when needed, FREE!! The other 2 may have the same, i don't know.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:39 pm »
Thanks iddee good to know.

I watched your trap out video on JP's Channel on youtube.  It was very informative. 

Thanks for stopping in.