Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive beetle trap & heat problems?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Hive beetle trap & heat problems?
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:01:58 pm »
OK....

A local beek told me to use a hive beetle trap because the beetles were so bad in our area. I have not seen any yet but my hive is only 3 weeks old....

I want to use a sbb for mite control and ventilation.

I also want to use a slatted rack for ventilation because our summers are so hot (over 90 already).

Can I use all of these together? Once you ad the hive stand it seems like the bottom features of my hive would end up as tall as my deeps!

Also, should I drill a few vent holes in the upper deep?

What do you guys and gals recommend for a very hot climate with hive beetle problems without using poisons?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 01:07:33 pm »
I built myself a screen bottom. It is only the thickness of two 3/4 pieces of wood with the screen between the two pieces. The hive bodies then sit upon this. That's it. While we get the high temps here we don't have the humidity you guys have. I had no bearding last year while temps were mostly in the high 90s all summer. But then night time temps drop down into mid 60s.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

manowar422

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 01:08:40 pm »
Can I use all of these together? Once you ad the hive stand it seems like the bottom features of my hive would end up as tall as my deeps!

Yes, I have SBBs with slatted racks on them. I do not worry about
height because my SBB is set directly on a pallet with no hive stands
under them, plus I only use medium size boxes.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 07:08:39 pm »
Since I'm not famillar with how the hive beetle trap works, I'm not sure I can use a ssb with it...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:53:10 pm »
From what I understand the beetle trap has an opening too small for bees but big enough for the beetles. Then there is either a sticky substance or pesticide to do them in. The larvea fall to the ground, dig in and mature. They then emerge and go back into the hives as beetles. So the point is to not give them a place to dig in, or a place not healthy, for the larvea.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/