Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Optimal weather to open hives  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Optimal weather to open hives
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:53:07 pm »
What is the optimal weather conditions to open a hive and what is the worst conditions you would consider if you "have to" ? ( like if there will be a week or more before you can do it again and you know they are crowded with full frames or you suspect something wrong that needs attention)
David L

Moots

Re: Optimal weather to open hives
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:27 am »
Optimal:
I would guess, between 10 am and 2 pm, to have maximum foragers away from the hive.
Maybe 70 or 75 degrees...Don't think hotter is a problem for the bees, but it can be for the Beekeeper.  :-D
Sunny, not cloudy
Calm, not windy

When I don't have optimal, I pretty much go with, if they are flying, it's OK to go in the hive.  However, I understand there mode may reflect the current situation and they may make there opinions known... so dress appropriately.   :-D

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:52 am »
I have opened hives in the rain when I had to remove queen cells from a cell finisher to nucs.

A sunny, still day with low humidity would be the perfect option.

Depends on the stings you want to cop & how important the job is I suppose.

Offline thule

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:47 am »
It may depend on the bees and beekeeper. We have hardy and frugal Buckfasts originating from Finland.

I live in Iceland and beekeepers here go by >14°C (57.2 F) as minimum. We have a cool climate but it is dry and the summer daily highs are typically 17°C to 20°C.

When I can't be bothered to check the thermometer my rule of thumb is whether I am comfortable wearing a T-shirt.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:04:39 am »
If you have an emergency, like they may be out of stores. I try to get in there quickly and get it done.
They'll still starve rain or shine. Just do the best you can
When having to move frames around, I like it to be above fifty degrees and no wind.
If I'm not in a rush, warmest portion of the day between 10 and 2 oclock.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:45:18 am »
Often go in when I have time.  Before 1100 is good so you can see eggs with the sun behind you.  And later it gets too hot. Also, too late and more foragers will be returning. Cloudy or windy days seem to make them cranky, although at times calm pleasant days do too.  Real chilly or wet days could introduce cold and water into hive.  Depends what the problem is.  Ask your tutor.   :)

Most important I avoid night inspections.  Nothing like zillions of bees crawling up you in a menacing way.

Worst conditions if I have to would be in a cyclone I guess.  Or earthquake.  Or maybe a volcano erupting?

Lone

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:35 am »
"Ask your tutor."  That 's just it Lone - it was blowing hard at the weekend and overcast. - and the girls were not pleased we were opening their home, which got me thinking as to conditions to avoid. As for the tutor - what he says and what he does ........
David L

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:50:24 am »
Typical!
The only time we had to check a hive I was worried about was when there was a cyclone.   :drowning:

OK, OK...we were off the edge of the cyclone and only had 1/2" of rain compared with the 8" east of us...and we did wait a couple of days till the weather cleared...

It turned out to have queen-righted itself in any case, and we found out most of the hives at home are full of capped honey.  So now I need more spare time for a big extraction   :'(

By the way, has anyone heard of hive losses from Cyclone Ita?  Most of the damage it caused seems to be massive sugar cane and banana losses. (In Queensland.  I am not forgetting the deaths in the islands)

Lone

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:44 am »
I live in Iceland and beekeepers here go by >14°C (57.2 F) as minimum

That is what we call a cold day here   ;)

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:24:41 am »

By the way, has anyone heard of hive losses from Cyclone Ita?  Most of the damage it caused seems to be massive sugar cane and banana losses. (In Queensland.  I am not forgetting the deaths in the islands)

Lone

Hopefully it has knocked the Apis Cerana hives around a bit.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 02:55:22 am »
I live in Iceland and beekeepers here go by >14°C (57.2 F) as minimum

That is what we call a cold day here   ;)

I was going to say 17-20 C was a cold day - certainly wouldn't feel comfortable in a T shirt ;)
David L

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 04:18:25 am »
Hi lone yesterday arvo was not a good time to open a bee hive only got to see a few frames not even close to the brood box must bee the weather
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

anything