Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Used hives coming!  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Used hives coming!
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »
I was talking at work about my bees when a new guy said his fmaily had bees once. I asked if they still were, still had equipment, and if they were not using them would they sell or give the hives away. He made a phone call and said the family would just give me the hives if he could find them. He siad they are stored in one of their buildings on the property and he would bring them back for me. I know there has been talk before about using used equipment here in the forums. I plan on torching the insides and scraping off the wax from the frames, if there is any. Is there any thing else I could do to clean them up or to make sure Im not getting something I dont wont?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Used hives coming!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:55:16 pm »
i'd replace the frames.  they are cheep and old frames can be a PIA to deal with.  + the don't always scorch so well :-).  i believe that if they were not nailed together and stuck in a hive they'd be called kindling!

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:57:31 am »
Every book I have read says Never ever use used hives period unless you know the beek very well.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:14 am »
there's books, and then there's the practical matter of getting a good deal.  there is some risk.  you have to decide what that risk is, and is it worth it to you to take it. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:10 am »
I would get a clear understanding as to why they quit using the boxes/quit beekeeping.  Did the bees die off?  What did the die from?  Did they just decide it wasn't their cup of tea?
De Colores,
Ken

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:20:11 am »
there's books, and then there's the practical matter of getting a good deal.  there is some risk.  you have to decide what that risk is, and is it worth it to you to take it.  
yes thats why they write them they have far more knowlege then me and most beeks out there No amount of a good deal would be worth my bees health.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:40:04 am »
I have lots of used boxes, and am using some currently.  After cleaning, scorching, a nice spritz of bleach solution, and some pretty paint I have had no problems.  I did, however, go with all new frames, otherwise I would still be cleaning.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 08:09:20 am »
I have a lot of used hive boxes that were in a barn for years. I torched them in a stack with newspaper in the bottom. Be careful, have an air tight cover handy, they burn real fast.
After reading up on AFB spores, I don't know if anything really kills that stuff.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:12:22 am »
At a local club had a meeting.  One of the bigger local beekeepers places and all they do for torching is to take a propane weed burner to them. Just doing a pass or two over each side of the box. Till the old wax melts that didn't scrape off. 
David
My-smokepole

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
NC has a sterilization chamber that they let people drop off supers to kill off anything (including AFB spores). Your state may have a similar service.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:51 pm »
I was told they only had bees for two years. He siad the hives swarmed, he really didnt know what to do, and the winter killed off the rest. I have to buy new frames anyways so I will torch the insides of the boxes and put new frames in. I really only wanted more supers and not hives. Because one of my hives likes to swarm in the spring, Ill keep one hive setup to catch their swarm and use the rest for supers, assuming they are mediums.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 09:15:03 pm »
yes thats why they write them they have far more knowlege then me and most beeks out there No amount of a good deal would be worth my bees health.

then you have made your decision.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
Well I received the equipment yesterday. He was only able to find three mediums, I think because they look like they are between a medium and a deep, an outer lid, a box of wood frames with foundation attached, unused, a box of foundation unused, and about 4 mediums unassembled. The only thing Im not sure of is the metal bars that attach to the supers to hold the frames, not sure I like that. He was unable to find three of the complete hives or any other parts for the hive that was assembled. Ill scorch the boxes that are assembled and put in the wood frames since they have not been used.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:45:57 pm »
you can do your hives with all mediums.  there is some advantage to that.  you might want to measure them.  i got some that are odd size.  they are fine, but finding frames that fit was not possible.  i ended up using shorter frames and they worked fine.  some burr comb, but that's not a problem.

the bees will use what you give them. 

i used my odd sizes to make one hive.  easier to manage and remember.

are the metal bars spacers to make 9 frame hives, or are they just to strengthen the edges?

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:04 pm »
I inherited some odd size boxes from my grandfather. Rip them down to 6 5/8" and just make them all mediums and keep it uniform.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 05:47:08 pm »
Not sure what the metal bars are for. To me that look like spacers the frames rest on. Ill have to see if my frames will fit in his boxes and f they do Ill get rid of the metal. Im guessing foundation does not go bad. I have a box of foundation he gave me. I opened it enough to see each piece is incased in wax paper.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:22 pm »
The metal bars, depending on what they look like, sound like either frame rests, an L shaped piece of metal that allows one to scrape propolis off with out getting into the wood or a frame spacer that, well, spaces your frames.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
Wow I started looking for this post and found it 6 pages deep. Anyway, I went out to see what I was given and found the metal stips were for converting the deep 10 to a 9 frame. What is the advantage of making it a 9 frame. I thought there were 8s and 10s. I started putting all the wooden pieces togehter and found I had three more mediums and pieces of deeps, all the sides no ends. One more question. I was given wooden frames with foundation. Can I mix a box with some plastic and some wooden with teh foundation. I have them fitted in there right now everyone other one and they are all equal distance.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:57:42 pm »
Hey Shawn!
 use the 9 frames for honey boxes. If you use 9 frames for brood boxes, you get a mess of burr comb and when you look in the box you have to tear the comb apart to do it.
\your friend,
john

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:45 pm »
Hey Shawn!
 use the 9 frames for honey boxes. If you use 9 frames for brood boxes, you get a mess of burr comb and when you look in the box you have to tear the comb apart to do it.
\your friend,
john
What he said. Also, yes, you can mix different kinds of foundation.