Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extracted supers back on hives...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Extracted supers back on hives...
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:56:19 am »
If this was June or July I would put the just extracted supers back on the hives.  Some supers have now been extracted twice this year.  But this is August and soon to be September.  In a normal year the flow would be slow now, the supers would go into storage, and winter preparations would begin.  But this is not a normal year.

The golden rod will be blooming soon, and the loose strife is already started.  The fall flow is here.  This fall honey will get left for the bees to winter on.  The hives have supers heavy with summer honey still ripening; most hives are currently at least 5 boxes tall. 

I am thinking to put the extracted supers back on under the two or more supers loaded with summer honey.  The summer honey supers may need another two weeks to finish.  Keeping the goldenrod honey out of them will likely improve the flavor of the honey. 

If the bees are able to fill the just extracted supers these hives may go into winter 4 boxes tall versus the usual three.   I will watch carefully to follow the SHB response to open space this time of year. 

Any pearls of wisdom ?