Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: amount of oxalic acid to use?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline kansas

• New Bee
amount of oxalic acid to use?
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:37:11 pm »
So, the frost has thawed here in NE Kansas and my bees are active. 

I performed an OA acid vapor treatment on my 5.4mm cell hive using black steel pipe, propane torch and frame on top of hive w/ glass top (for viewing) w/hole in the side to insert pipe nipple.  Seemed to work fairly well and it didn't take too long for the OA crystals to vaporize in the 1/2" steel cap.  Vaporized once, then refilled cap as I was sure there wasn't enough OA crystals used the first run.

Question: How much OA crystals should be used for a two deep hive?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: amount of oxalic acid to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:52:56 am »
Kansas, not long ago I made a response in a thread where I typed out the instructions for my Oxalic Acid vapourizer.  I will include a link to this topic for you.

All my colonies (except one) are in two deeps.  When I performed the O.A. vapourizing treatment, I only used what the instructions indicated.  That was 2 scoops (the little scoop that came with the vapourizer) which equated to approximately 2 grams.  That was plenty for the colonies and the mite drop was very efficient.  Even after 2 weeks when I performed the sticky board test to see if there was further mite fall, there was significant numbers.  Hope this helps you out.   Have a great, wonderful day.  Cindi

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=11313.msg85651#msg85651
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
Re: amount of oxalic acid to use?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:25:41 am »
Thank You for the info. I just mailed my ck. I am getting the JB600. Thanks again Tony

anything