Welcome, Guest

Poll

What hive do you use of most prefer to use?

10-Frame Langstroth
34 (66.7%)
8-Frame Langstroth
15 (29.4%)
National Hive
1 (2%)
WBC Hive
0 (0%)
Dartington Long Deep
1 (2%)
Beehaus
0 (0%)
Top Bar
0 (0%)
Warre Hive
0 (0%)
Perone Hive
0 (0%)
Bi-queen Hive
0 (0%)
Lounger Hive
0 (0%)
Finnish Hive
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What Hive Do You Prefer?  (Read 5654 times)

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
What Hive Do You Prefer?
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:57:59 am »
 :-D
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Moots

Re: What Hive Do You Prefer?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:15:18 am »
BeeDog,
My guess is 8 and 10 frame Langstroth is going to cover the overwhelming number of respondents, with a few TBH folks thrown in the mix.  My guess is all the others are distant outliers. 

I think the more interesting question might be further narrowing down of the Lang folks...

You've inspired me to throw out a spinoff, I'll see what I can come up with.  :-D

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:26:35 am »
Dartington Long Deep is maybee what you meant

My set up is 10 frames double Deeps and a Queen excluder and shallows as supers.  A few of langstroth's different sizes.

Also I have a raised bottom board with rear ventilation.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:24 am »
Dartington Long Deep is maybee what you meant

My set up is 10 frames double Deeps and a Queen excluder and shallows as supers.  A few of langstroth's different sizes.

Also I have a raised bottom board with rear ventilation.

mvh Edward  :-P

Yes that is what I meant.  :-D Typho error.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:26 am »
BeeDog,
My guess is 8 and 10 frame Langstroth is going to cover the overwhelming number of respondents, with a few TBH folks thrown in the mix.  My guess is all the others are distant outliers. 

I think the more interesting question might be further narrowing down of the Lang folks...

You've inspired me to throw out a spinoff, I'll see what I can come up with.  :-D

I added the other hives so that there will be a wide range of choices. I agree that many respondents will choose between the Langstroth and the TBH.  ;)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 02:26:30 pm »
I currently use 10 frame Langs, all mediums, all foundationless and treatment free since 2007.  My 10 frame brood boxes are simply converted to 8 frame with follower boards on both sides, which also adds more insulation for winter.

I've also played around with LONG HIVES (and TBH) for several years, medium and DEEP frame.  I no longer house big colonies in them and have since converted one of those LONGs into a three partitioned NUC/queen bank and plan on converting the other two I have into similar NUC staging boxes.  Fun, fun….. :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »
TBeek...I am also foundationless and treatment free. Sure wish I had checked this board before I got started with deeps. I only have 2 Langs hives but had my husband put observation windows in them...I don't think he'd take kindly to my changing them at this point..

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:42 am »
TBeek...I am also foundationless and treatment free. Sure wish I had checked this board before I got started with deeps. I only have 2 Langs hives but had my husband put observation windows in them...I don't think he'd take kindly to my changing them at this point..

My conversion to all mediums took 3-4 years to complete.  I use my old DEEPS as feed/vent boxes and swarm catchers.  I like the idea of having a few boxes converted with  'observation' windows and plan on installing some this summer or spring.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:29 am »
I don't have any windows in my Langs, but I do in my TBH.  It is nice to go  out there and let the cover over the window down and see how your bees are doing.  On my Langs I still have double deeps for brood, with med and shallows  for supers, all 10 frames.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:15 pm »
I like white painted hives.   :-D

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:43 am »
i like hives like these

If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 11:00:12 am »
I currently use 10 frame Langs, all mediums, all foundationless and treatment free since 2007.  My 10 frame brood boxes are simply converted to 8 frame with follower boards on both sides, which also adds more insulation for winter.

I've also played around with LONG HIVES (and TBH) for several years, medium and DEEP frame.  I no longer house big colonies in them and have since converted one of those LONGs into a three partitioned NUC/queen bank and plan on converting the other two I have into similar NUC staging boxes.  Fun, fun….. :)

tbeek can you send me some pictures of the long hive conversion?  i was planning on building something like that for mating nucs this year. 

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:21 am »
i like hives like these

what material is that hive made? :)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:13 am »
 this is a silly question --take a ten frame deep and you can change the inside confiquratio to
many diderant styles--very easy--RDY-B

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:43:20 am »

tbeek can you send me some pictures of the long hive conversion?  i was planning on building something like that for mating nucs this year. 

I suppose I could but its covered in snow right now……stay tuned……until Spring  :)

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:52 pm »
i like hives like these

what material is that hive made? :)

2" foil covered insulation board.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline o.molchanov

• New Bee
    • Apiary Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »
Why did not you include other types of hives to the list?

Especially:

Lounger (with or without the extension);
Finnish
Bi-queen

I would prefer Dadant hives but with some modifications

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
Why did not you include other types of hives to the list?

Especially:

Lounger (with or without the extension);
Finnish
Bi-queen

I would prefer Dadant hives but with some modifications

Sorry I was not aware of the kind of hives you mentioned. I will add them now.

Offline o.molchanov

• New Bee
    • Apiary Manager
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
Sorry I was not aware of the kind of hives you mentioned. I will add them now.

Sorry for missing explanations. Let me quickly describe each new type, because titles can be different in US and CIS:

Lounger hive - a standard bee box for 1-2 colonies with 12-30 frames on board. Here is the example - https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjEQ6ln2-COokDwZIXIppoV6cBvCKcAkYMdLzD8Lm2Y2-31wIk

Finnish hive. This hive is basically used in North countries (especially Finland, Norway, Sweden) and has more than 3 meters height. Mostly it is manufactured from light-weight materials such as poly-carbonates. Example is here - http://www.pchelovodstvo.ru/forum/shared_files/uploaded/101/2280_1_o.jpg

Bi-queen hive. Two-colonies hive (i.e with two queens). Colonies are separated by special metal grid.  http://freemarket.kiev.ua/images_message/564/102703/642196/770347.jpg

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:07 pm »
My set up is ten frame Langs double deeps. But I am considering going to 8 frame Langs. Been reading Michael Bush and he makes a lot of sense.
Rick

anything