Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Every Super has a different Taste of Honey  (Read 2302 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Every Super has a different Taste of Honey
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:19:15 pm »
I love it that every super has a different taste.  I know that it all depends on what was blooming when the bees filled the super, but I find it astounding that every honey harvest is unique.  Mine is even different from last year.  Last year all of my honey was very dark and very rich tasting.  This year it is lighter and has a different flavor that is lighter.

I don't have a question, just wanted to say how much I love bees and the variations that come with them.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Every Super has a different Taste of Honey
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:30:03 pm »
Just the opposite here. I have more dark this year so for. But all my dark is mild tasteing. Most of it has the buttery/nutty flavor. J B said popular gives it that flavor.
doak

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:46:41 pm »
Know what you mean here.

Pulled some off last week and it smelled strongly of strawberries.

Some was real dark and a little was light.  All said and done, strained and in jars got dark honey with a red tint to it.  My first honey harvest and I'm happy with it.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:08:36 pm »
I'm Bottleing right now some medium some light it all tastes fantastic.

kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:41:18 pm »
Gunny, that sounds like it would be fantastic. I am partial to dark amber. Mine comes from the tallow tree primarily. Had a guy buy some the other day. He said my honey tasted ok but he was looking for honey that he could eat and taste the specific flower it came from, like blueberry or orange blossum. He was a honey conniseur so it seemed. He said he has tasted avocado honey that was very good and tupelo honey, he said was very light.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:54:37 pm »
I would say ever frame has it's own unique taste, though not very different form those around it. I have not harvested yet this year but two years ago I got a dark brown wild flower, and last year was a light yellow clover, that we called "urn sample" because of it's weedy taste, still good though. Always I notice small groups of cells containing red honey. I have been meaning to track down the plant that causes this just to make a field of them and see what it tastes like. I imagen it is some sort of tree that only blooms for a week though.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 09:47:35 pm »
I find I've become disqualified as a honey conny-sewer on the basis of smell or taste.  Since I lost my sense of taste and smell as the result of head injuries It's all Food.  Something has to be gag-me-with-a-spoon strong before I can even begin to tell the difference.  Most things are either bleach or non-bleach as far as smell is concerned.  Tastes are Sweet or Sour--anything in between is bland.

Texture is a whole different ball game.  I love foods I use to hate because of the texture and hate foods I use to love for the same reason.  I hate squishy, wet, thready (fiberous) foods like squash, sweet potatoes, and yams--makes me feel like I'm eating something pulled out of the lint trap of the dishwasher.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!