Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Entrance Behaviour During Requeening  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Beeswax Bob

• New Bee
Hive Entrance Behaviour During Requeening
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:16:22 am »
I'm in that period after letting the workers get to the release candy, and I have to wait until I check for eggs. Which as you'll know is a time fraught with: did they, didn't they questions. So I wondered if behaviour at the entrance can give us a clue as to what is going on inside? For instance, today I could see the workers coming and going and taking back big pollen loads from the rape (canola). Are there any other clues that I can look for?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline bibi

• New Bee
Re: Hive Entrance Behaviour During Requeening
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:41:55 am »
When requeening, I've experienced a good way to check the way the new queen will be accepted. I just lay on the top of the frames the queen in its cage without her servants . I sit and watch, with no smoke. After a while, you will check the way , the colony will cope with her new queen. If they welcome her, I wait just another while and I open the cage right away. If it's agressive, I don't let the cage inside either. It works quite well about 90% ...

Offline Beeswax Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:31:00 am »
Hello Bibi,

Do you have a number of hives?

I did the same and placed the caged queens on the frames to see what the workers would do. But not having the experience to just let them out. The workers showed interest in the queens, and having been queenless for about a week, I thought they looked quite friendly. I could even see the queen sticking her tongue through the cage as if begging to be fed. So fingers crossed they've accepted them. However it snowed here the day after I let the workers at the release candy.

Bob

Offline bibi

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »
I've been running about 200 beehives for the past thirty years.... but I'm getting closer to the bees right now, I mean I don't care so much about production... but I'm a little bit more south of you... down in les Cévennes... less snow... but here too, it's rather chilly!

Offline Beeswax Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:17:13 pm »
i couldn't wait any longer - had a look - saw the queens and eggs - whew!

South of France - Lovely!

200 hives - no wonder you don't hang about when re-queening.

Bob

anything