Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just checking....  (Read 4999 times)

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
Just checking....
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:09:10 pm »
Does anyone else's hive look like this?  I'm assuming that they're just hot and airing it out.   What do y'all think? Anything to be concerned about?

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
Re: Just checking....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »
It looks a lot like a couple of mine today. And I'm in New England!
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:23:53 pm »
It looks a bit weak to me.   :evil:    :-D

Actually, it's called bearding and, yes, they are just cooling off. All is well.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:37 pm »
Does anyone else's hive look like this?  

Pretty much every summer at some time or another.
John 3:16

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:38:24 pm »
I've come out in the early mornings and seen that. If it weren't for the rain we've been having, I would be seeing it more

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:43:42 pm »
OMG THEY ARE GETTING READY TO ATTACK CHILDREN!!!...hehe ok, horrible joke..... as Iddee said, it's just bearding and it is done for many reasons. Often when there isn't a nectar flow going on, field bees do not actually have enough to do and just sorta hang out even. If you see them on the landing or in the entrance and they are in patterns facing the same direction for instance, butts sorts in the air and not moving at all except the blur of their wings periodically then they are fanning, inside a hive, the temperatures can get very high actually and they cool it off that way. The entrance size can effect that also, often with a larger entrance, there will be less bearding and more airflow. I see you have a entrance reducer on. Also the more that go out there, no doubt the more 'in' thing to do is go out there and hang with everyone else and crawl all over them and stick your butt in their face or be part of the action. It's really a lot of what they do 'inside' the hive too. and a lot of it is sorta like your mom telling you to get out of the house on a nice day, instead of just raising the heat and taking up oxygen inside, and once again stopping the cooling breeze coming in. brood will die off in their cells if the temps are to high, not to mention new wax/etc gets awfully soft.
  If your hive beards in early spring, it is often getting ready to swarm. if it is hot outside and it is in the afternoon they are usually just hanging out, and they sound differently also. a swarming beard is louder more aggressive 'sounding', and from that point on it'll only last a half hour or so and they will bee all over the place more and more and moving faster, then the queen joins them and they leave. a regular beard like you have just sorta hangs out and has normal comings and goings, with a bit of flight, usually in one area at the entrance.
  increase your ventilation and you will see bearding go down more than likely. also if you have a well insulated hive, bees can keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. people often use 3/4 lumber and it works, don't misunderstand me, but it isn't really insulated like for instance the inside of a tree that has 5-6 inch thick walls. insulation works both ways....keeps the hot hot and the cool cool.  Bees will find a space and then change their location to the micro climate within it to suit their needs....sorta like a cat going down in the basement or on the floor when it is hot outside and sleeping on the register when it is cold or basking in that one ray of sunlight that comes in through the window.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:39:26 am »
It was very hot today! Somewhere around 95 degrees but felt like 582 degrees! (Ok...so I'm a little drama queen) :-D  One of these hives has a SBB and the other one is solid. I keep the entrances reduced to the 5 or 6 inch opening in hopes that they will be able to keep the small hive beetles at bay.

~Angie
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:48 am »
ya. nothing wrong with that at all, imo.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:31 am »
Angie, Yes, bearding is normal, especially in the heat....but...

Pic 1, I would definitely give more space at the entrance.  That is only one bee high...time to give them more space, and they will be happy for it.  Cut the reducer in half, like on hive 2.  (Save the piece so you can still use it to button them up in the winter).  A traffic jam won't stop SHB.  Unfortunately, they are a fact of beekeeping.  

When did you last inspect?  Are you positive they don't need some more space inside?

Your hives are kicking butt!  Nice job!   :th_thumbsupup:

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
When did you last inspect?  Are you positive they don't need some more space inside?

Your hives are kicking butt!  Nice job!   :th_thumbsupup:

Last inspection was June 1st- Took a med super of honey from the 1st hive- replaced frames and added another super to the second hive.  I plan on doing a thorough inspection on all of them in the morning.

~Erma Bombeck

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
It was very hot today! Somewhere around 95 degrees but felt like 582 degrees! (Ok...so I'm a little drama queen) :-D  One of these hives has a SBB and the other one is solid. I keep the entrances reduced to the 5 or 6 inch opening in hopes that they will be able to keep the small hive beetles at bay.

~Angie

you mean it was kind of hot today.  we'll be breaking the 100 degree mark within 3 weeks and wishing it was only 95 again.  i've had bees bearding for weeks now but my hives get direct sunlight for the better prt of the day.
how are the beetles in the cairo area?  i went through my bees yesterday and only saw more than 5 or 6 in one hive. 
i have oil traps in all my hives and have maybe 4 or 5 beetles in the average trap. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 01:59:42 pm »

~Angie

IMO - yea something wrong with that. You are not going to keep SHB out of the hive by reducing the entrance. There are other more important factors invlove in shb other than entrance size. You need to open the entrance this time of year and give the hive some ventalation. You can also prop the back cover open a little with a small shim or stick to create some air flow. It won't hurt a thing. Don't get alarmed with the bearding but give them some air.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »
The SHB can go in through a 1/8 in. wire screen bottom. The entrance has nothing to do with their entrance on that hive. The solid bottom needs the full opening for air movement.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 04:02:39 pm »
I haven't had too many problems with beetles yet. My hives are in full sun.  I may see 2-3 in some of my hives during inspection. Sometimes I don't see any.  I use the little beetle blaster traps which seem to help. My aunt lives about 10 miles from me and has to put her hives on other properties because the beetles are terrible at her house.  I did inspect those hives Friday and looks like I may need to add another super. Not real over crowded now but it won't be long.  As soon as the weather clears, I'll remove the entrance reducers.

~Erma Bombeck

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »
LOL...I  WISH!!
Sally

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 08:55:13 pm »
My aunt lives about 10 miles from me and has to put her hives on other properties because the beetles are terrible at her house.  

Same with me.... too much leaf matter and bottomland.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »
fatbeeman aka straightshooter has a you tube video about SHB traps. He uses political signs cut to around 3"x5". He then seals up one end with Crisco grease. After that he puts boric acid in the inner middle. Then he seals it up once again with Crisco on the other end. It is then stapled to the bottom board. He says SHB are attracted to Crisco and once they eat through it they either eat the boric acid or they are exposed to it because of the hiding place it provides them. Be sure to wipe all boric acid off of the outside because of it killing the bees.

Haven't tried it nor do I know the pros or cons about  it. I see most of my SHB on the top board, and I sure ain't gonna put any there.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 09:15:10 pm »
they are looking good. Friday morning my wife called me at work to say that something big was attacking one of my hives up front because she could not see the hive just a big brown mass. the hive is 3 deeps and 2 mediums tall and I think everyone of them was outside. you could not see the hive on all four sides. we have been in the upper 90's all last week with rain every afternoon. Now we are expecting 5+ inches in the next couple of days with heavy flooding. I never thought I would say this. I kind of miss some of the dry weather we had last year.  :-\

John

P.S. the weather alert just went off call for sever thunder storm with high winds and 2+ inches of rain.

Here we go!

Offline farmgirl62

• Brood
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 08:36:27 am »
so would a hive like that be a candidate for a split?  Just curious.  Seems if they don't have enough to do, they could do something in a new hive!

a question from a newbie.

Thanks
homeschool mom to 2 kids
church musician
keeper of cows, goats, two turkeys, sheep, occasional pig, one goose, cats, dogs
wife of 21 years to a hardworking man
gardener of heirloom vegetables

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 05:12:06 pm »
so would a hive like that be a candidate for a split?  Just curious.  Seems if they don't have enough to do, they could do something in a new hive!

a question from a newbie.

Thanks

IMO yes it would be. not that it is 'needed' (or it may be depending on conditions inside) but that if anything, you would then split it with another laying queen, thus doubling your production and could if anything later then rejoin the hives if 'needed' before winter. it is almost win win at this time of year frankly, to me.

anything