Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: recent Swarm removal from a wall  (Read 1214 times)

Offline chux

• House Bee
recent Swarm removal from a wall
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:23 am »
Last year I attempted a trapout on a house out in the county. The trapout did get the bees out of the house. I told the homeowners that they had to seal up the wall with caulk, or they would have the same problem in 2015. Guess what...they forgot to do so. I got a call on Friday afternoon that a swarm had landed on the side of the house and was going in the old entrance. I ran out there and tried to smoke them out with menthol, hoping the bees would "quit" the hole. Many came out, but the bulk must have moved deeper into the space. I came back on Sunday after church, and set up a trap out. Mixing the advice of my mentor, and also iddee, I loaded the trap out box with a frame of brood that had a good mix of brood. capped/eggs/and young larvae. Checked things out yesterday and it looks like there are no bees coming out of the house now, and all traffic is focused on my hive. I plan on going out tonight and loading them up, then sealing the wall space for the home owner.

Just putting it out there. If you get a call that a swarm just moved into a structure, you have a good chance of getting them out for the owner with a trapout, in the first week. Hopefully, the queen will come out of the structure, and choose to enter your hive with the others. Fingers crossed. I'll find out if I got the queen tomorrow when I transfer them from the trap to a hive. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: recent Swarm removal from a wall
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:52:16 pm »
Good job Chux. I have had the same experience. Catch them early and you can smoke them out. The last one that I did was in a trailer. I used a lot of smoke and they came pooring out, queen and all. She ended up on the ground right below the opening.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
sawdstmkr, did you smoke the entrance, or did you get behind them in the liner?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:09:21 am »
I smoked them using the same entrance they used. They were behind the liner.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything