Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My new beekeeping shack?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
My new beekeeping shack?
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:53:43 pm »

Top photo : Yesterday
Bottom Photo : Today

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: My new beekeeping shack?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:02:19 pm »
darn you have a nice chunk of land there. How bout we replace all that grass with Sunfowers?
I can't handle the idea of having to mow that.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:48:32 pm »
Wow, bucolic!  That's a gorgeous piece of Earth!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:57:43 pm »
Very nice, What a view.  Looks like a lot of dandilions coming up, stop the mower. :-D

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 12:48:14 am »
Dallas do a check on all them silver spoons you got, I think Ken do got about a case of them from you when you wasn't looking , nice place ole Geezer, you must be like David Copperfield, that building just appeared during the night ha ;) .....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:17:19 am »
My dandelion crop is strong this year.I knock the tops off and a new set of blooms are there next day to replace the one that I removed. Always fresh ones you know!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:46:40 am »
Ken, beautiful piece of land you have there.  What do you grow?  Purpose of fields?

I cannot believe that that shack was built in a day, you really have to be kidding.  I know that there are barn raising, but that is raising, not painting!!!  Have a wonderful day, beautiful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:36 pm »
Cindi,The fields are hayfields of my friend and neighbor that lives next door.
This storage shed is built by the Amish and they deliver to your door.
It is a beautiful area we live in and in the foreground is just my lawn(about an acre lot adjoining the home property and behind where the shed is located is raspberrys and fruit trees. To the left of the dirt pile is our garden.Not too much in it yet,however we are passing last frost date now.Sweet corn will be planted this week.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:35 am »
Cindi,The fields are hayfields of my friend and neighbor that lives next door.
This storage shed is built by the Amish and they deliver to your door.
It is a beautiful area we live in and in the foreground is just my lawn(about an acre lot adjoining the home property and behind where the shed is located is raspberrys and fruit trees. To the left of the dirt pile is our garden.Not too much in it yet,however we are passing last frost date now.Sweet corn will be planted this week.
Ken, sorry you lost me here.  The Amish deliver to your door.  Please elaborate on what you are saying.  I would love to see more pictures of your home area.  It looks very beautiful.  It reminds me of our climate, but ours is way more bushy looking, yours appears as lush as ours, but more cleared area, beautiful.  Do you plant the S2 (little 2), supersweets?  That is the most wonderful corn that I have ever grown, holds it sugar content long after harvest and is great for the freezer.  I mourn that I have not grown corn for many a year because of the bears that devastated our corn patch so badly about 3 years ago.  The bears played among the corn and took down the stalks, ate the corn, leaving  piles of husks behind, as well as the stalks behind and had a trail of stalks and corn for along ways into the bush.  It was unbelievable what they did during one late summer night.  What a remarkable critter, for surely.  Gotta give them credit for power.  I am going to try a small amount again this year, as an experiment.  Our land has been cleared, leaving little groves of coniferous trees, and the underbrush is not prevalent anymore.  I think that this may deter the "bear path" that we live along.  So maybe, with a whisp and a prayer, I can again grow corn.  Have the wonderful day, beautiful life and good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:13:25 am »
By deliver to your door,I mean they build the building at their location and transport it on specially built trailers to your preferred sight.
We don't grow the s2 supersweet here because isolation is an issue.The valley we live in is like a bowl carved into the top of the mountain that surrounds us and it gets a lot of wind.This creates a pollination issue with the other corns grown nearby. We have grown jackpot and serendipity varieties with pretty good results though.The only problem the past couple years has been japanese beetles eating the silks off the corn .They will devour it !Hopefully this year the beetle cycle will be less.
I will take the road around the rim of the mountain  here and get some photos.I,ve been wanting to do that for awhile anyhow.       Have a great day!!                                               Ken

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 01:17:03 am »
Ken, I am serious, your place sounds like something out of a dream world.  Please do take some pictures and show us.

I have grown several varieties of the s2 cultivar, beautiful, and I know what you mean about cross pollination.  Having the sweetness revert to field corn would be the biggest bummer on earth.  I grew one variety one year called Ivanhoe, it was a white supersweet corn and man was it good. Pale yellow when cooked.  I still like the Golden Jubilee for freezing, they have improved this variety from the "old days" and it is always excellent.  I get my dozens and dozens from a farmer in a neighbouring town that is about e0 minutes drive from here and it is reasonably priced and ALWAYS fresh and oh so sweet.  Can't wait for the end of August, corn coming on a'plenty.  I can isolate from other corn, as there are not many people around here that grow much of vegetables and wind is certainly a non-issue anyways.  Well, Jerry get on with things and get some pictures for all us drooling about what we are going to see.  Best of this beautiful day, and great health.  Cindi

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 04:31:35 am »

I thought it might have been one of your properties Ted, but its too small, and it cant be one of Dallas`s as I cant see any Mexicans peeking out of the shed!

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »
HEY! Im half mexican!

Awesome Shack.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 10:02:24 pm »
Some other photos:Looking out my front door:

Southwest from side porch:

Southwest from road

South from road:

Southeast from road:

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 01:44:18 am »
That is beautiful country! What a blessing~*~

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 09:59:41 am »
Ken, beautiful pictures.  Take some more of looking north!!!  I love the mounded mountain in the background.  Valleys have always held a mystique to me, I don't know why, but I think they are a beautiful part of nature.  If we ever move, I know of a valley north to us by quite a ways that I would love to live in, if we ever moved.  But we live in such a place of beauty that moving may never occur.  One day I will define my property and try to describe it so it can be understood.  We live on a very pretty piece of five acres and it is very secluded.  Best of a beautiful day, great life, and great health wishes to all.  Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:39 am »
Cindi,
Your place sounds intriguing...can't wait for pictures!
Cheers
~*~

anything