Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen Dumping?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Pollen Dumping?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »
I've got 5 colonies going strong right now and seriously hope the goldenrod flow is exceptional (we need rain bad in Northwest Wisconsin) as honey collection has been mostly miss this year due to extended drought.  One of my stronger hives, currently housed in 6 mediums has begun dumping mostly yellow pollen in front of their lower entrance the last few days.  I've never experienced this before but am assuming they are making room for winter bees, but really don't know.

Any other ideas or possibilities?  Thanks!
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Re: Pollen Dumping?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
Are you sure it's pollin nd not bee poop?
The landing boards of my 2 hives have little yellow spots of bee poop on them that is why I'm asking...

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:46:29 am »
Definitely NOT bee poo.  The difference is obvious.  What is laying in a pile in front of this one hive is most certainly pollen.

That said; we are celebrating a thunder storm right now so the goldenrod flow may yet produce a crop  8-)

Any other ideas as to why they would be dumping pollen??????

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:09:58 am »
A crowded entrance and a big pollen flow= dropped pollen on bottom board and front door.
Are you on a Goldenrod flow over there?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:36 am »
Goldenrod has just began, about 10-30% in flower right now. 

That does however seem logical as the bottom entrance of this particular hive is rather jammed up.  I also use top entrances.

Up until now we had a cool summer with half of July and most of August we had evening temps in the 50's and 40's so I reduced the bottom entrances thinking it would reduce efforts to heat the colonies.  Now that we've returned to 'summer' (90's yesterday) with goldenrod ready to explode it would a good time to open them up again.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:38:27 pm by T Beek »