Welcome, Guest

Poll

How's it affecting you as far as your beekeeping plans for 2009 and beyond ?

Plans are on track !
Plans Altered !
Not spending a Dime !
It's killing Me !
What Downturn ??
Quit being Nosey !!!!

Author Topic: Economic Downturn  (Read 11500 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Economic Downturn
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:51 am »
With The current downturn, I have found myself halting all expenditures on equipment and improvements, except for a few Nucs and Queens to replace expected winter losses, I am beginning to feel the heat of my debts and reduced income :(  I hope everyone else is fairing better. How's it on your end  :?

* This is my 1st Poll  :)

Update: It Warms my Heart that the Beekeepers on this Forum are Positive and Optimistic in their endeavors, and honestly, I'm quite surprised by the poll results thus far   :-D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:51:51 am by BeeHopper »

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
Re: Economic Downturn
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:38 am »
so far me and the wife are doing great spending more than ever. 
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:06 am »
actually I am spending MORE on my bees....  ramping up production to offset potential losses in other areas.......

I am also wondering if I surronded my house with hives I could lower my heat bill.... hmmmmmmmmm

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:28:17 am »
Thankfully, the "down turn" has not hit us.  We were so far down that things would have to get better to get worse.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:41:54 am »
actually I am spending MORE on my bees....  ramping up production to offset potential losses in other areas.......

I am also wondering if I surrounded my house with hives I could lower my heat bill.... hmmmmmmmmm

Now that is a novel idea  :-D

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:44:28 am »
While I'm not planning on blowing a lot of money on new equipment and stuff, I will be adding a package hive and splitting the two that I started last year.  I was able to pick up most of the boxes, frames, and foundation last year when Brushy had their free shipping in December.   

Thought about getting an extractor but I think I will hold off and use one from my beekeeping chapter!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Doc Pat

• New Bee
  • Green Acres is the place for me!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:02:46 am »
I'm putting my start-up plans on hold for a year.  It's a big disappointment, as I was really looking forward to it, but maybe the extra year can be put to good use learning more and more here and in my reading.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:30 am »
B-Hopper. I would start doing cutouts w/ KD. Cash on the barrel head! Got two lined up, and would love to share a few as my job will get busier w/ less pay.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:53:58 am »
Spending a lot more than I had planned. I was only going to try a couple of colonies but got the bug and ordered 10 packages. Decided on selling our Suzuki Samuari toy to pay for this new venture.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:52 pm »
B-Hopper. I would start doing cutouts w/ KD. Cash on the barrel head! Got two lined up, and would love to share a few as my job will get busier w/ less pay.

Sounds like a " Proposition " I can't refuse.  ;)   Has to be weekends or evenings though  :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »
so far, we are ok and i have not changed my plans.  since i tend to be a tightwad anyway, that means i look for used stuff and swarms  :-)

when i am done paying LAWYERS, i'll be in good shape!!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:06:52 pm »
It's not the economy that is slowing down my progress, it's the hive losses.  GRRRRRRR!!!   :hissyfit:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »
Well I had saved for my expenditures this year already so I'm good for now, hopefuly nothing ielse raises it head. Then there could be plan change.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:50 pm »
This is our start-up year and had already budgeted the expenses into our funding. I'm a high school teacher and am not concerned about loosing my job so there is no economic downturn for me... I'm confident that our market garden will continue to do well and demand for eggs is only increasing.

Offline steveb

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:20 pm »
I am adding a few hives and making up for some hive losses also.

I make hives for backyard beekeepers and new beekeepers.  My business is much larger than even last year when it was double from the year before.  I was amazed at the money some were willing to spend.  Saw a sharp increase in already painted hives ready-to-go and a decrease in hive parts for do-it-yourself.  I talked to a lot of people that want bees and gardens and be more self sufficient overall.  I am waiting to see how our associations Beginning Beekeeping class will do this year.  Last year interest went way up and I am getting a feeling that this year will be the same.  
Overall, people seem to be spending money.  Makes me happy. :)
Steve

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »
well I am planning as usual but I was not planning on spending much money anyway as I dont have much to spend but I am sure that places are harder hit than where i live. My job is ok for now but who knows we may hit a depression soon. However a store told me they would buy all my honey

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:15:59 pm »
I am somewhat hit, due to the fact that my family runs a horse farm, in the business of importing and selling horses out of Europe.  Horses are not selling so well at the moment.  Beekeeping is a hobby for me, but as with everything in life, I don't like losing money on things so I budget pretty well.  This year I have been building custom equipment for other beekeepers and that has paid for the nucs I bought to increase numbers, and the tools I bought allow me to build my own equipment as well which saves me a bunch, especially when shipping costs are considered.  Basically, my beekeeping budget is controlled by my beekeeping sales. I am not putting in any outside cash this year.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »
i am planning to double this year if not more.
have 25 or so hives now, would like to get over 70 by fall.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 09:40:47 pm »
I would like to help Bailey get past 70 by fall!

My business has been holding steady but I am concerned that people will start holding on to their money for fear of a massive depression. I have been watching my spending and saving as much as possible so I'll have a buffer when or if things turn really sour.

Scary times folks but we have to think positive, right?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 09:49:14 pm »
No downturn for us at all.  We're adding 3 hives this year, which will make 5.  That should just about do it for our back yard.  In fact we are expanding our business and see the next couple of years being full of great opportunity. 

My advice to everyone who's worrying about the economy is to turn off the television.  There's nothing we can do about it. It makes it harder to focus on what we're grateful for and harder to be optimistic for the future, which we all need in strong doses.  In fact, getting on my soapbox, I think the news media does us an ENORMOUS disservice by reporting all the terrible and never the good.  If it bleeds, it leads, right?  It's a continuous groin kick in our collective consciousness.  There is so much negative being broadcast our way, and that's why I believe so many people are unhappy.  It's a habit to complain and blame and gripe and I truly believe the news helps foster that behavior. 

I don't intend to sound glib or to mean I am discounting the economic state we're in, because I know so many people are losing jobs and are in serious financial distress, but I can't think of one way the constant barrage of news about of failing banks and job losses serves me.  So I just don't play, and life seems to be working pretty well.

anything