Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees living in a tree next door, how to lure  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Bees living in a tree next door, how to lure
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »
So my next door neighbor has a tree with a good size knothole in it and we noticed the other day that there are bees coming and going from that hole.
I have no idea how long they have been there as I am not very observant and that part of her yard is partially blocked by the coop anyway.
This tree is just on the other side of my fence, maybe 5 feet into her yard and about ten feet up.
The hole faces my yard so it seems like a good possiblity of luring them out, unless they really like that tree.

I have considered leaving them alone and I still may but my neighbor does not like bees and I am afraid she will have her landscaper spray them.
I don't know if they have been there a long time and I just never noticed or if they just moved in.
I have two neighbors that keep bees besides myself so they could be from anywhere.

So if I decide to lure them over would it be best to get a swarm trap or just use a nuc?
I would be overwintering them in a nuc anyways so I considered just going with that that but am not sure how willingly they will move into one.

What do the experts here think about how to proceed with placement and all that?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Bees living in a tree next door, how to lure
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:07:33 pm »
You may catch a swarm from them when they swarm but I doubt that you can lure them out of the cavity and into a hive. With your neighbors permission, you could trap them out. It is easy and it will work. Since your neighbor does not like bees, they could be open to getting rid of them.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »
That is what I was wondering, a tree seems like an ideal spot for them and they would not want to leave it.
The thing that bothers me is that I know how much she doesn't like bees. She told me before I got my bees that I "can do whatever as long as they don't come over here" so she would have no problem spraying them.
I thought of a trap out but don't know if I would do it correctly, I guess I would have to read more on it.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »
Trap outs are fun and easy just ask iddiee...  Thats what I would do but my only question would be if it needs to be dome now or next spring?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »
That is another thing that occurred to me, whether I should leave them to overwinter first or not.
Hopefully Iddee will read my thread, otherwise I may have to track him down. ;)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 08:52:24 pm »
That is another thing that occurred to me, whether I should leave them to overwinter first or not.
Hopefully Iddee will read my thread, otherwise I may have to track him down. ;)

IMO  overwinter in the tree if you can.  Trap outs are about 4 to 6 weeks long

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:15:46 pm »
Thanks Jim, good to know. :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:30:36 pm »
>>>>Hopefully Iddee will read my thread<<<<
Now you know this dumb old redneck can't read......!!

This may help you if you want to trap them. It would be best to do it in the spring, unless you have a weak hive you want to boost the numbers in before winter. A trap can be used to start a hive or beef up one with low numbers of bees.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

And, like Highlandsfreedom says, they are fun. A month or two worth of fun and adventure.

I am also open to PM's for particular questions, and am also free with my phone number if you need instant help.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 02:32:26 am »
Iddee thank you so much! I will read up on your link and contact you if I need your guidance.
Its very good of you to offer so much help on this subject.