Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning out a dead out?? Or lots of them.  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Cleaning out a dead out?? Or lots of them.
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »
Ok, so many of you are aware that I got those 13 hives last fall just before we got creamed with what has been a crazy winter. I only have 2 hives that are still buzzing, and that is thanks to you guys. My question is what and how do I need to clean everything out and get it ready to reuse, cut down and move around for the bees that I still do have and packages that I want to get? All 13 hives were just double deeps. I have lots of frames with tons of bees on them, mostly head in to comb. Also most of this is pretty old pretty brown/black comb. So do I use my compressor and blow them out, bang them out, or what. I have been feeding the dead bees to my chickens (they seem to love that). Anyway, want to get all cleaned up and ready for spring now that we are getting above 30 some days..... These hives were pretty burred up as well, so any advice on this will be helpful. As always thanks so much for the help all.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Cleaning out a dead out?? Or lots of them.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:24:23 pm »
Just take a brush and clean off bees that are on the surface.   Trying to remove bees that are in cells causes more damage to the comb than it is worth.   The new bees will clean out the cells quickly and easier than you can.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Cleaning out a dead out?? Or lots of them.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
As Robo states the bees will clean up the combs as for the rest just scrape away the burr comb and propolis and store then so that wax moths won't get into them.  Use what you can to super the 2 hives remaining and the rest for starting packages or swarms.  I would set out a few signle hives as bait hives.  The further apart and the higher they can be placed the better.  Still, I've had swarms take up residences in dead outs left in the bee yard.  Clean up (scrape) tops, inner tops, and bottom boards too and repaint if you think it's necessary.
While doing you inspection and clean up, be sure to cut out real old or knarly combs as recycling those can cause health problems. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!