Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: schawee and jp doing 2 cutouts in lockport louisiana  (Read 6400 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
schawee and jp doing 2 cutouts in lockport louisiana
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:17 am »
they had 2 hives in a born so i took hive #1and jp had hive#2.well let me tell yall folks my hive was the hive from hell :evil: i had to suit up and still got about 30 stings.i was going to pintch the queen when i got her but i didn't get her that day. the next day i went through the hive and found her.i didn't put my jacket on and the bees were ok .a few flew around me but didn't attack me like the day before so i decided not to pintch her and see what happens.went in the hive today and they are bilding comb and she's laying .    ...schawee                   cutout in lockport
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: schawee and jp doing 2 cutouts in lockport louisiana
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:05:45 am »
Schawee,
What did you do with all the comb/honey you took from this cutout?  I know sometimes you rubber band it into frames but what do you do with the stuff you don't rubberband in?  Do you crush and strain the honey out of it?  Do you save the wax?  Or do you just pitch what you don't put in the frames?

Linda D
linda d

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 01:45:52 am »
check this out later!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:00:17 am »
schawee that was a good cut out. Where was you buddy JP at?? just left you hanging?? :-D

Do you use the same editing as JP does, your video is  over 10 min. long and plays good for me.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:31 am »
Here's the other footage of that day. For a first camera I believe I got my money's worth but will be looking at getting a better quality camera soon. Mine just doesn't gather light nor focus enough for my fancy. So I am sorry for the lack of good footage on my cut out, can't really see the comb sections but hope you get the gist.

...JP

JP & Schawee Remove Bees In Valentine, Louisiana
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:34:20 am »
Wished I lived closer! It is to far to drive from NC, but the education would be nice! Enjoyed the videos as always!!

Offline Wits End

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:18:41 am »
Now THAT my man is a fine pair of legs!
Jeff and Kellie Houston
Wits End Blueberry and Bee Farm
Greenwood Mississippi

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:19:15 am »
Schawee,

I posed this question to JP before, but I am wondering if the taking of the honey first, makes the bees more aggravated. It seems like the hives y'all have issues with, were the ones where you had to harvest the honey first. It looked like there wasn't a lot of brood on your side. Just a thought.

JP,

Despite having tree trunks for legs, your flexibility is impressive.  :-D

Thanks again y'all for all of your videos.

Jay

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:50:50 am »
Good job on the removals, thanks for posting.

Hey schawee, I noticed JP had a nice heavy duty ladder, but you were up 20' in the air on a light weight ladder, whats up with that?

You do know my friend that them light weight ladders are only rated to 200 lbs.  :whip:

Scarring an old roofer regards

Don

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:52 am »
Schawee,

I posed this question to JP before, but I am wondering if the taking of the honey first, makes the bees more aggravated. It seems like the hives y'all have issues with, were the ones where you had to harvest the honey first. It looked like there wasn't a lot of brood on your side. Just a thought.

JP,

Despite having tree trunks for legs, your flexibility is impressive.  :-D

Thanks again y'all for all of your videos.

Jay

Jay, we always remove honey first. Removing the honey first does not make the bees more aggressive.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 11:52:20 am »
We weren't quite sure how high up the bees were until we got there. I keep a twenty foot and 17' expandable ladder with me as well as smaller ones.

I have a 28' ladder that is cumbersome and in my shed, and very hard to get to right now because there are holes and gigantic mounds of dirt everywhere due to the undergoing elevation project on my house.

Been meaning to get a 24' ladder and I'm very glad I did. Its much less cumbersome than the 28' one and rated for 300 lbs.

And about my legs...  :-D

...JP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
they had 2 hives in this barn ,not (born) :-D   idaxon,i didn't save this comb.this hive could have been sprayed by the homeowner.on top of that,most of the comb was honey .the only brood they had would have made 1/2of a frame.i treated this hive like a swarm.they had muddiver nest throughout the comb.g3 i have movie maker,i think jp has i- max. skflyfish by removing the honey first it expose's the brood for a much easier removal.d simple, im much closer to 200lbs than jp :-D       ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
Great video..Looked like new construction in that barn, did'nt know anyone built them like that anymore..dl

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:01 pm »
What was that you threw up to JP schawee? Looked like a bon bon :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:24 pm »
 :lau: 

Great video guys.  That's as always. 

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »
What was that you threw up to JP schawee? Looked like a bon bon :-D

Scott

This cracks me up. (Nice toss. Nice catch)

-Liz

P.S. I have my first cut-out scheduled for Tuesday. I'm a little nervous about it, but here goes.
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:30 pm »
hardwood, that was some twine i through up to him. liz goodluck on your cutout tuesday.are you going to video it?     ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 07:56:13 am »
Nooooo, I'm not gonna video myself scratching my veiled head and muttering, "What now?"

I do have a sidekick, though, and she'll be great on camera (she wants to be called Big Daddy on cut outs...after Bud). You'll just have to wait a while to see the two of us in action. We're gonna mess up on this first one without an audience.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:00 am »
Can't wait for those pics.   And with you muttering "what now?", you just have to edit that part out.    :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:51 pm »
Liz, please video your first removal. You can always mark it private, later on if you like, you can make it public and we can all have a good laugh or tell you how good of a job you did on your first removal, of course whichever sequence of events takes precedence!  :-D

Best of luck!

...JP