Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeper from Alabama  (Read 2712 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Beekeeper from Alabama
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:22:56 pm »
I am a first time bee keeper and am getting my 1st set of bees in early April. I have my boxes built. I am setting them in the middle of my organic 2 acre garden surrounded by a natural field. I have apple trees, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, mulberries, pears, peaches, and normal garden veggies in the garden. What other plants should I plant and should I take my frames out and go frame less in my bee boxes?

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Beekeeper from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:31:53 pm »
Hello from Tennessee.
Sounds like you're well on your way.
I think you mean foundation. You definitely want to use frames lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »
Welcome to the family.....and foundation-less is a good way to go but you should probably alternate foundation and foundation-less to give the girls a better idea of what you want them to do....if you install a package into an empty box with 10 foundation-less frames you are asking for cross combs and some wonky stuff. I just pulled a swarm out of a trap last week that had overbuilt the combs skipping bars so they had super deep combs for storage along the tops and then normal depth for brood below.....but it made it hell getting them into a normal setup and I ended up having to scrap some of the comb they had built that just wasnt right.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:34 pm »
The one thing I have learned why studying for my bees is that it seems everyone has a different opinion on what type of bee, type of hive box, foundation, and other such things. I am actually more confused today than I was a month ago.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:10:49 pm »
Find a local bee club and attend a meeting...great advice and great people here ......but sometimes there is no substitute to talking with someone face to face or getting our hands dirty and helping with someone else's hives before you get your own ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
Welcome. 

I started out four years ago thinking "I want to go totally foundationless".  I think for most new beeks it can be a little overwhelming at first.  I decided to use foundation after having a box drawn at a 45 degree angle across 5 or 6 frames.  If you are starting with a package, I would advise to use foundation in the first box at least.  It gives them a guide to draw the comb.  Once you have some drawn comb, it is much easier to go foundationless.  If you want the bees to draw straight comb then they need something to guide them(and straight drawn comb is a guide that can't be beat).  I do have some foundationless frames in my hives and plan on having more.  It's also much easier after having some experience with the bees. 

As far as what to plant, remember that bees will fly up to 2-3 miles from the hive.  Realize that what you plant will not support your hive but anything that you plant will help.  It sounds like you have the spring and early summer covered.  If you can find some late summer or fall blooming flowers it might help.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:21:35 pm »
I have been to a bee farm around here and done some work with them to get my hands dirty. I loved it. I have an abundance of golden rod in the late fall. Is anything else good?

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:49 pm »
There are lots of things out in the wild that they work.  If you have a farm, all the things you used to bush hog.  What part of Al.

Good luck to you,

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:02 am »
Just outside of Montgomery. So the south Central

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:19 pm »
bwallace, you're in my neck of the woods. I'm about 7-8 miles north of Slapout, nw corner of Elmore county. 2 miles from Chilton, 2 miles from Autauga and about 3 from Coosa county (it's across the river). Hollar at me, I have about 20 hives, free lessons and plenty to do. You can PM me if you want.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:15:01 pm »
I know where Slapout is. One of my best friends is originally from Eclectic. I might take you up on that after the gardening season is over.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:55 pm »
garden season and bee season are one and the same here in VA  :cool:

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 10:44:26 pm »
The one thing I have learned why studying for my bees is that it seems everyone has a different opinion on what type of bee, type of hive box, foundation, and other such things. I am actually more confused today than I was a month ago.

Whatever kind of bees you have are the best kind (unless they are mean).

Whatever kind of hive boxes you have are the best kind.

The advice on foundation or foundationless is good sound advice.

Welcome to the forum.  Lots to learn and lots of good people to learn from.  Take GSF up on his offer.  He's offering an incredibly valuable learning experience.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything