Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee yard photos and lay out  (Read 109335 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Bee yard photos and lay out
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2007, 03:01:32 am »
around here we dont have the luxury of predominate flows many small flows so it is multi floral starts with the fruit bloom and alfalfa fields next location could be blackberry and anise and thistle  best to sell based on location people love to get honey close to them i dont mix the locations so i give them more than one choice  some spots give a few buckets some give twenty buckets  it is a lot of running around but provides a good table at the market on saturdays there has been a nectar drought here but i still made 3000lbs which is just enough. next year very well could be double that  :-\ we will see thank-you for your interest   8-) RDY-B

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2007, 07:48:35 pm »
I have moved any of my hives under my avocado tree. Shade is shelter.

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2007, 12:27:43 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2007, 12:33:30 pm »
abejaruco, what a pretty little picture, very nice.  Wonderful day and best of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2007, 12:35:49 pm »
Dr/B.  Nice picture, but the only one that I could see was the one of you and your children against the massive beautiful sunflowers, but what a sight!!!  Have a wonderful day, beautiful of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »
Michael, nice pics.  I like the look of the different coloured boxes, it kind of gives a warm and fuzzy feeling of comfort, don't know why, but the pictures feel good.  Have a wonderful day, best of our beautiful life we're livin'.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2007, 01:03:58 pm »
I have a more current closer up picture of my apiary, it was taken the end of July, looks slightly a bit different now again.  In the picture I had just mowed the grass, but hadn't yet got around to pulling out the grass infront and beside the colonies, looks much more tidy now.  Have a wonderful day and a beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2007, 01:12:30 pm »
I  just loved seeing these photos of your bee yard. What are those blue designs painted on the bottom of the supers??

Yes, very tidy and neat.

I will have to post some more photos of mine soon. I do want to post the new upper entrance I just made recently. (well notches really - but the bees seem very happy with them)

Wonderful day to you Cindi and once again thank you for all the great expertise and positive replies to everyone.

Sincerely,
Annette in now absolutely perfect Placerville California - weather now in the mid 70's - low 80's

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
Dr/B, with two or three sunflowers surely your bees can harvest any tons of nectar.
Brings at my mind Gulliver and the giants, Lilliput and other tales.... :)

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2007, 08:43:39 pm »
Dr/B, with two or three sunflowers surely your bees can harvest any tons of nectar.
Brings at my mind Gulliver and the giants, Lilliput and other tales.... :)

I planted about 250 sunflowers in my vegetable garden.   :-D   All varieties of sunflowers from large plate size heads to multiple smaller blooming type.  We also have dozens of crape myrtles here too they seem to love.  Anyone know if they get much use from the crape myrtles, or not?  It won't be long and golden rod season starts.  This past summer we had literally thousands of privet hedge blooming around here.  Acres and acres of this hedge, white as far as you could see.  Very pretty and smelled wonderful.  The bees covered it up.

Dr/B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2007, 12:29:12 am »
Richard, beautiful pic, your bees will do well there.  Looks like it may be a southern exposure with some nice shade from that lovely ol' tree.  It is so much fun to set up a place for the girls to have a lovely home.  Good for you, yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2007, 10:16:36 pm »
Woops, wrong picture.  Great, the first pic I post and its the wrong one.  That is the expansion of my experimental garden where I plant stuff to see ho they taste or plant things I have never grown before, to get a feel for them before I do it on a scale to sell.

It used to be THE garden, now its just the mad scientist lab.

It is right above the bee year and the orchard though so its close, sort of.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2007, 11:50:28 am »
Richard, hey I think that is cool that you do a veggie "test" before you set the produce to the market.  Yeah!!!!  I have experimented with many different cultivars of food plants too over my past 30 years in small time food production for my family.  I love to experiment with different corns, my preference will always be the sh2 (super sweets), can't beat them for the longevity of the sugar content after harvesting and the kernal row count, yeah!!!  Have fun with your food experimenting.  Have a wonderful and beautiful life in our great world.  Cindi

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2007, 06:59:17 pm »
Well, here is the new Bee Yard, sans Bees.  Those come next year, but I wanted to make sure it was built before this year was over so I could write off some of the costs (not that there was much since other than some of the bolts this was all material left over from other projects (which dictated the size).

All that's left is to level out the front a bit (the raised gravel bed is actually the back...and faces north) and put down a layer of pea gravel on top to dress it off.

It'll fit six hives I think, more if they are on top of each other (that is going to be another question I am going to ask in another thread...drift.).

Anyways, enjoy:

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2007, 08:43:31 pm »
You guys do know that a booming hive during a flow could be ten boxes tall right?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2007, 09:00:07 pm »
hopefully they will be changeing out supers before they get that tall. Man That layout looks good and I can see you did a lot of work.

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:45 pm »
You guys do know that a booming hive during a flow could be ten boxes tall right?

Yep.

When its finished it'll be about 12" off the ground.  It can hold well a whole lot of weight (I even put in concrete footers left over from another job.  Keeps 'em off the ground from moisture and snow and will give me some room if I need to set up something for skunks.

The gravel area is the back.  I plan to off load supers onto the back of the Mule so I figure having it step down would place me at the right level to stack onto the back bed.

I could be wrong.  I'll change it if I am.  I think I have everything measured correctly.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »
Richard, wow!!!!  You have one nice set up going on and the hard work you have done shines through.  I didn't see a mule anywhere.   Oh well, animals can pack a whole lotta weight,eh?!!!  Heeee, heee.  Excellent that you posted the right picture this time  ;) :) 

I love to see pictures our friends put on the forum, bring em' on guys!!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in our greatest of life.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:34 pm »
WOW!! that's impressive, it sure beats setting my hives on old railroad ties.  Your project looks like you either have too much time on your hands, have a tendency to be a perfectionist, or both.  I wish I had the time and energy to build hive stands like that.  For this old reprobate that would have been a week long project.  I'm disabled and I did a major job today--I built a full 8 foot section of fence for the new goat pasture.  If I can do that an 8 foot section of fence every day it doesn't rain I should have the new pasture done by Christmas.  It tooke me all summer to build a 8X14 foot pigeon loft--I still need to build more roosts and nest boxes but I've got to get the goat pasture enlarged.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything