Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just though y'all needed a laugh today.  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Just though y'all needed a laugh today.
« on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
My hives are so calm and gentle that I don't have to use smoke. In fact it seems to go better when I don't. I don't wear my protective gear and have not had any problems.

That being said...... LOL  :-D

Today started out no different even though it had been raining and overcast. First three hives no problem at all as usual. When into my best hive. It has three boxes. Went into all three and no problems.

Was looking for a frame with brood, larvae and eggs to give to my maybe queenless hive to build their numbers and maybe they would make a queen. Found one with lotsa everything I needed except for it had, you guessed it, LOTSA bees on it as well. Well we all know you can't put lotsa bees from one hive into another. So you need to shake them off.

Now a SMART person would have put on protective gear at this time. :) I have done this before without getting stung so I thought it'll be ok this time. First shake no problem. Second shake..... well I got chased across the yard frame still in hand some bees still on the frame. Got stung on the ear and one on the back of the arm. Could have been much worse. I WAS LUCKY!

Anyway, put on the jacket and veil, picked up the frame and started back out to the hive to finish. Then I heard a buzz, buzz, buzz. I had a bee in the suit with me. LMAO! Quickly put the frame down and got the bee out. Got back in the suit and finished the transfer and all is well.

Had a great time. :) Lesson learned... If you are going to shake bees, WEAR THE SUIT. Just saying.

Hope you enjoyed.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Re: Just though y'all needed a laugh today.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:33:39 pm »
 :shock: At least you didn't get too many stings!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:42 pm »
hate to tell you this so late, but you can move the bees too  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:44 pm »
I knew I could just didn't want to give up so many to a hive that might not make it. :) But thanks though.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:37:47 pm »
You were lucky the other overcast day, I got stung 6 times through my bee suit.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:24:49 am »
that one in a million chance of being stung in the eye ball is enough to make me wear a veil.  those gentle bees won't be as gentle the rest of the year david.  they're going to want to guard what they've got now. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:19:53 am »
You're just missing the ending of the story.  When a bee or two clings to your cloths when you go inside and then you end up getting stung in bed  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
> In fact it seems to go better when I don't.

Then you're not doing it right...

http://bushfarms.com/beessmoke.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:58:27 pm »
Saw a Television show advertised the other day and thought it was a new one about beekeeping....Naked and Afraid :shock:

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
I have a hive from a swarm I caught about 3 months back that is now four mediums and they used to be docile! They are some mean gals as they have grown in size and some hives next to it are docile but they can be agitated at times and I always wear my protection as others have stated about getting stung in the eye ball and go blind. Not worth it!  ;)
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.