Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive strapping  (Read 4134 times)

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
Hive strapping
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »
Hi folks
I'm just about to buy some new Emlocks and strapping. Does anyone use the poly strapping? I'd be interested to know how it lasts compared to the galv straps which seem to break after not a lot of use!
Cheers
Taz

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Hive strapping
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »
I haven't been using poly for all that long and only one of my hives has it but i like it! it would be cheaper to replace than the gal strap i can imagine and the benefit for me is that it can easily be rolled on to the emlocks - i guess most of the poly used would be UV stabilised now so you'd get a few good years out of them

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:47 am »
Hi Oz
What colour is the strapping that you are using? Did you buy them together like Bob's are selling for $12. Surfing the net i noticed that there is a place in Queensland selling just the Emlocks for $6.60. Was weighing up whether it would be worth buying a roll of strapping myself as a replacement for the galv stuff as it breaks, it doesn't seem that dear by the roll.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:50 am »
Poly strapping is much more user friendly and I can always get plenty of used pieces of all sizes from the back door of Bunnings ( alias Walmart etc.)
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:34:39 am »
Hey Taz,

I bought mine from Bobs so yeah it's the white strapping! i like the idea of buying a big roll of strapping and just DIY fitting it - where's the place in QLD you can get them for $6.60?

Hi Oz
What colour is the strapping that you are using? Did you buy them together like Bob's are selling for $12. Surfing the net i noticed that there is a place in Queensland selling just the Emlocks for $6.60. Was weighing up whether it would be worth buying a roll of strapping myself as a replacement for the galv stuff as it breaks, it doesn't seem that dear by the roll.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:04:52 am »
Poly heaps better on your hands and in the hot weather when handling it.

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:12:44 am »
Hi Oz
The website is http://qualitybeekeepingsupplies.com.au. Haven't checked their freight costs. Signet looks like a pretty good place to buy the strapping. They do have a $50 minimum buy though. Don't know whether the cheapest blue stuff would do the job.

Offline ozbee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:25 pm »
just be careful cattle have a liking for it have seen a group of beast with the ends hanging out of there mouths