Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to move a swarm into a hive box?  (Read 2976 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
When to move a swarm into a hive box?
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:48 pm »
I have a swarm in a squirrel box that I got 2 months ago. It built up real fast so I left it in there. I picked it up last weekend and they have put on a lot of weight. At has more bees flying than all of the other hives. At the club meeting on Monday our local inspector stressed that we need to be feeding our bees here in north FL to have them ready for our first flow that starts right after the equinox in December. My question is, when should I move this swarm into a L box? It is a strong hive and I don't want to lose it.
JP & Schawee, your weather is similar to N FL, what do you think?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When to move a swarm into a hive box?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:57 pm »
I would cut a piece of plywood the size of a super. Then cut a hole in it the size of the squirrel box. Take the bottom off the squirrel box and set it on the plywood and on the super. Put the super on a bottom board. Remove the squirrel box in the spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:42:35 pm »
I would cut a piece of plywood the size of a super. Then cut a hole in it the size of the squirrel box. Take the bottom off the squirrel box and set it on the plywood and on the super. Put the super on a bottom board. Remove the squirrel box in the spring.
That sounds pretty good. I added/screwed a board to the bottom to close it up. This brings up another question. Will the bees build down? I do have a flow on right now but it will probably end on Sunday with a cold front that is expected. I will have to mount the hive box on the wall because the squirrel box is hanging on it, but that is not a problem.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:33:44 am »
I have a very similar problem.  I picked up an owl house two weeks ago in Dallas and it is full of bees.  Its a bit cool here so I left the box on the my hive stand with a nuc sitting ontop with frames of old comb / foundation.  I have this all set up where the bees have to go through the nuc to get outside.  The owl house is a mess, i attempted a peek inside but there were sooo many bees i couldnt see anything else.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:20:48 am »
your bees will fly almost every day and take feed; cut them out and put them in a box and feed a little. you arent in the north; you are south of the south
to bee or not to bee

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:25:58 am »
Yes, they will work down.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:32 am »
Yep, bees will work downward, in fact they prefer to do so. We certainly don't have any kind of flow here in December. If I had them here in that set up I would leave them alone to over winter just as they are.

Since you have a flow coming in December I would likely give them room to expand as well but would likely hold back on feeding if they are as laden with honey as you say. Once the flow kicks in you can cut them out then.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything