Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crocus  (Read 2487 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Crocus
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:15:07 am »
Would this be a crazy of me?  My lawn desperately needs to be aerated, so at some point this year I'm going to rent one of those big aeration machines that punches holes in the lawn and pulls out plugs of sod.  I was thinking though, about buying crocus in bulk, and as I'm going around picking up the plugs to dump in the compost I could drop a crocus bulb in each hole.  That would make for one heck of a crocus bloom in the early spring, and once the flowers died back you probably couldn't tell the difference between the crocus leaves and the blades of grass unless you were looking for it. 

Would that be crazy of me?  Would that just look hideous?  How much help would it really be to the bees?

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Crocus
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:22:09 am »
It wouldn't look bad at all. The earliest blooming ones probably would help the bees but only on days when they can fly. Continued blooming into March and April though is usually ignored due to dandelions and early blooming mint plants and later just about every tree that blooms in spring. I planted crocuses in our yard two years ago and they've since multiplied. The grass is a little down there though because of seed husks around the bird feeder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mrilovetheants/Plants/CrocusLawn.jpg