Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Atlanta  (Read 4335 times)

Offline mousestalker

• New Bee
Hello from Atlanta
« on: July 19, 2006, 08:51:53 pm »
I'm Matthew. I am a real estate lawyer during the day. My wife and I are interested in getting into beekeeping in the early Spring of 2007. We live just outside the city limits of Atlanta. My other interests include reading, gardening, and woodworking with hand tools. My wife's interests include needlework, gardening and beading.

I think the thing that worries us most about keeping bees is what to do with the honey.

:)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:13 pm »
welcome.  you found a great place to learn.  

what to do with the honey  :) .  i have the same problem.  there are only two of us and we won't be able to eat it all.  i think it will go to Christmas and bday presents, etc.  i also intend to do only comb honey.  that's the way i like to eat it.  no point in spending a bunch of money on equipment.  

as you wander around this site, you'll get lots of good ideas.  by the time you start, you'll have a better idea of what you want and how to get it.  wish i had found this site before i started!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:30:52 pm »
Welcome, I live just north of Augusta in Lincoln county, you will love bee keeping, honey is what the beekeeping thing is about, you don't have to take all like some of do, it's what beekeeping is about if you enjoy giving, enjoy giving honey to your friends and it will be a habit for most and also a profit if you decide to sell any.... and welcome to the site.......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:03:25 pm »
Eat it.  Give it away for presents to friends, family, associates, fellow workers... and then you can sell what's left over.

Look for mead makers.  They use a lot. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:35:45 pm »
Once you taste your own honey, you will know exactly what to do with it.... :wink:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline GTBee

• New Bee
new beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:29:46 pm »
Hello Mousestalker,

I live in Powder Springs.  Where abouts are you in the Atlanta area?

I started new this year and am having a ball.  I've got two hives and have extracted about seven gallons of honey already this year.  There are a couple of local clubs would welcome your attendance if you wanted to check them out.  Let me know and I can give you further info.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 01:39:33 am »
To all you Georgians:  The one thing I figured out while stationed at Fort Gordon was why they call Waycross Waycross.  From Augusta you have to go way cross Georgia to get there.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: Hello from Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:33:45 pm »
hi mousetalker. try the ventrilo chat sometime. :)
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:00:05 am »
Welcome and good luck
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline austin

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 03:42:12 pm »
Hi Mousetalker. Good luck!   :)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:16:40 pm »
Hi Matthew,

I live just north of the city limits ITP (inside the perimeter).  I keep bees near Northside Hospital/Glenridge/400.  There are lots of us in Atlanta - come to the Metro Atlanta Beekeepers meeting - next meeting is the second Wednesday of March at the Atlanta Botanical Garden....it's a great group.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »
Welcome aboard.

The gardening and the beekeeping will be fun together.
Get with your local beekeeping club and see if there is a beginning beekeeper course scheduled in your area.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything