Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When/how to move bees  (Read 2181 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
When/how to move bees
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:37:55 am »
I am considering putting my house on the market and moving closer to my children (who although two of them live in Atlanta, they both live a 30 minute drive from my house).  If I do that, I can't have bees on my deck and expect to sell the house! 

So I'm thinking of moving my three hives to the Blue Heron and to a new community garden at Little Nancy Creek where they've agreed to let me have hives. 

Can I move them in winter?  If so, should I wait until the end of February when our winter is about over and the red maple is blooming?  Or should I do it in the middle of winter when the bees are clustered?  Or should I not move them until spring?

And both locations are within three miles as the bee flies from my current location.  I know to put stuff in the entry to force them to reorient, but will they fly back home instead of to the new location?

These are the sort of questions a beekeeper mulls over in the winter!

Linda T in Atlanta

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: When/how to move bees
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
don't know what selling is like in your area, but winter is a horrible time to sell and get a good price here.  if that is the case where you are, and you can wait a few months, you can move the bees safely when it's a bit warmer and they have forage, and get your price on your house!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:14:10 am »
I'm not planning to put the house on the market until March or April, but wanted to move the bees when it least disturbs them - sorry I wasn't clear. 

So I thought maybe it would be less disturbing to move them when they aren't leaving the hive, but like you say, maybe it's best to move them when they can orient and forage - as in starting any hive in the spring.

Linda T

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:24:14 am »
You can move them anytime you want. I would move the two stronger hives first, and the weakest one a week later. That way, if there were any stragglers, they would take up with the weaker hive. Moving them at dusk works best for me.

For protection of the hives, I would wait as long as possible. No matter how safe the destination is, I think your deck would be safer still, from vandalism or natural occurrences.

PS... A 30 minute drive in Atlanta? From my experiences, you should be able to walk that distance in ten minutes.   :evil:   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
I am considering putting my house on the market and moving closer to my children (who although two of them live in Atlanta, they both live a 30 minute drive from my house).  If I do that, I can't have bees on my deck and expect to sell the house! 

So I'm thinking of moving my three hives to the Blue Heron and to a new community garden at Little Nancy Creek where they've agreed to let me have hives. 

Can I move them in winter?  If so, should I wait until the end of February when our winter is about over and the red maple is blooming?  Or should I do it in the middle of winter when the bees are clustered?  Or should I not move them until spring?

And both locations are within three miles as the bee flies from my current location.  I know to put stuff in the entry to force them to reorient, but will they fly back home instead of to the new location?

These are the sort of questions a beekeeper mulls over in the winter!

Linda T in Atlanta

In the winter under about 70 degree,put a rag in the entrance and move them in a van. They have everything they need for the winter or summer in the hive.You can move them any time.In the summer or over 70 degree,stick a rag in the entrance and move them on a pick up.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:35 am »
Also,best time to put rag in the entrance would be at night when most bees are in the hive,then you can move in the morning.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:03 pm »
PS... a 30 minute drive in Atlanta? From my experiences, you should be able to walk that distance in ten minutes.   evil   grin
   :-D  :-D  :-D

We DO have a traffic issue here, but even with no traffic they are 20 minutes away and I want to be a grandma whose grandchildren can bike over for cookies, you know?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The good news is that I don't HAVE to do this - if the market is bad or if I decide that I don't want to go through the hassle of paring down, I won't do it.  I just know that if I do, the bees will need to be somewhere else!  Being a good Girl Scout, I am always thinking ahead/planning/bee-ing prepared, as it were!

(What else is a beekeeper to do in the winter!)

Of course, I'll have hives wherever I move to - in the backyard, on the deck, wherever...

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:12:57 pm »
They already have their winter stores so move them whenever you want. Winter can actually be a good time to move hives for a couple of reasons. One is less bees are out, so less straglers to worry about and two is you don't really have to worry about overheating when you close up the hive. I don't know what type of vehicle you plan to use but regardless this is what I would do. Take a piece of board early in the morning before and block the entrance screwing it into the hive body above (don't trust a rag in a car or van). Take 2 cheap ratchet straps and go around the hive so that it looks crossed like a bow (now you don't have to worry about things shifting or popping apart). Go ahead and move them and undo.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:17:08 pm »
PS.
Linda, how is the rebuilding of your bee losses going? I'm still more than willing to help if you need anything.