Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping Fire Ants out of my hives/ and Weed Control  (Read 2038 times)

Offline BeeLady

• New Bee
Keeping Fire Ants out of my hives/ and Weed Control
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:58:03 pm »
My (2) hives are set on stands made of angle iron about 18"  off the ground.  I have the legs of the stands set in empty tuna fish cans.  If I put petroleum oil in the cans or on the legs of the hives, will the bees be harmed?  What about vegetable oil?  Would the vegetable oil kill any ants?

I have also used axle grease on the legs of the stands - some bees got trapped in it.  Will the bees be harmed by the grease?

In Texas our fire ants can wipe out a hive quick if the hive is weak and invaded.

Second part.  Although I try and avoid the use of chemicals I like the idea of ROundup around my hives.  I've been severly stung while mowing/week wacking (not I mow or weed wack fully suited.)  How bad is Round Up vs. time and repeated need to mow or weed wack?

Thanks.
Lauren, aka BeeLady
San Antonio, Texas
Bees in Lindenau, Texas

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:32:48 am »
Vegitable oil serves more to create a barrier than to kill the ants, but, they will be killed by suffocation but, that takes a few days.  As for keeping weeds down, I just keep my bees about 8 inches off the ground on cinderblocks and, I actually layed concreate below the hives but, the ones which I couldn't (land doesn't belong to me) I just put some old fallen shingles from the last hurrican for the two feet infront of the hive.  That keeps the weeds and grasses down just fine.

Offline BeeLady

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 01:26:04 pm »
Thanks Nathan - I do have some old concrete pavers I could put under and around the hive and some old shingles too.  Good idea.  Will try the vegetable oil as well.  Thanks. Lauren
Lauren, aka BeeLady
San Antonio, Texas
Bees in Lindenau, Texas

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 10:42:29 pm »
Just one more thing; ants (even fire ants) can be repelled by a few tablespoons of cinemon around the hive and, even on the enterence of the hive.  The ants can't stand it, but the bees don't seem to notice.