Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and trap out  (Read 4340 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
SHB and trap out
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:04:23 pm »
Went to check on a trap out (2 1/2 weeks into it) and found that the SHB has taken over the tree.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'll be picking up the hive this evening to get it out of the war zone.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: SHB and trap out
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:20:51 pm »
I've wondered about how those two (trap out adn SHB) would mix.  I now know, it's as bad as I figured.  I'm glad it's a tree and not someones house.  You'd have a REAL problem at that point.  Did you at least get a new queen from your frame of eggs and the field bees from the collapsed hive?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:19 pm »
I'm doing three different trap outs of trees in this particular condo complex. The first, a very small colony, hung in there for a few days but only covered 1 1/2 frames and couldn't take care of a frame of brood. I scooped out what I could (the entry was quite large but the hole was shallow) and brought the bees and what brood they had to one of my yards and combined them with another hive. The second (I'll call medium sized with maybe 3-4 lbs of bees) I placed a frame of brood and eggs in on day 1 and ended up just putting a ripe grafted queen cell in on day 3. I opened the box on day 5 to find that all bees had absconded due to SHB larvae COVERING not only the frame of brood, but also the queen cell. The third (pictured with all of that rotten honey running down the tree) I placed a drawn frame in on day 2 and, after I was sure that there were enough bees in the hive, gave them a queen cell on day 3. It appears that they have a new mated queen with them now so I feel safe moving them tonight. I'm pretty sure there will be no more bees coming from this tree as the beetle infestation seems to be pretty bad.

This tree must have been full of honey. The cavity goes both below and above the entry. The slimy, stinky honey that is running down the tree must have first filled the cavity below the entry then ran 22' down the tree where it puddles on the ground. Would have been nice to let the bees rob that out!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:26:09 pm »
I just can't imagine how bad that tree must smell.  Use some foam or caulk and seal those maggots in there.

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:55 am »
I am new and a novice.
What is SHB?

I am planning to trap-out of a tree (knot hole) with a screen funnel to a nuc. I  hope to make the new home nicer than the old with drawn combs,lemon grass oil, etc.
Any idea on my chances to get the queen? Little...I suspect.
Any other ideas on the process?
Thanks,
I enjoy reading all other posts.

I'm  Preston

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:02:37 am »
Dam That looks nasty
I am doing a trap out started a week ago
I was sick so I didn't get back till day 3 to put in eggs brood
After seeing yours I'm Glad I waited
The SHB have ruined my Bee Tree so my go too tree sits empty
maybe it will come back

preston39 SHB= Small Hive Beetles

Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:37 am »
Preston, here is a bit of trapping info for you.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:29:27 am »
Preston, here is a bit of trapping info for you.

(since I am new. I had to remove the link...sorry)
=============
Wally,
Excellent...Excellent...Excellent...many thanks.

This tree is near a home. Lady is scared. When I start the trap-out can we expect the bees to be wildly around the house 100' away?..and for how many days before they calm down?
Will the plastic drawn cone be ok or should I find some old natural cone to ad to the new home? Which would be best?

Again ,many thanks.

I'm  Preston

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:32:17 am »
They will be UN-wildly around the trap for about 3 feet. They will settle down in about 10 minutes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:02 am »
There has never been a piece of plastic in any of my hives, so I can't answer that question.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »
As long as all the plastic is wax coated and drawn out, should be ok.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:53 am »
After I saw the picture and before reading the replies, I was wondering what the heck that black liquid was running down the tree. That's some nasty honey!
That's a good picture to show people who want to spray the bees when they are inside their home. End result, you can get this and much more!  :-D

Offline beetalkin

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
SHB = the worst thing ever for bees.

I have switched from hardware cloth to window screen on my bottom boards because SHB go right thru 1/8" hardware cloth.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
SHB = the worst thing ever for bees.

I have switched from hardware cloth to window screen on my bottom boards because SHB go right thru 1/8" hardware cloth.
I have a tray with veggie oil under the SBB and it catches alot of the SHB's and the larva as it tries to get in the ground to mature.

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »
Scott,

Do you build your hive equipment? What type of cover is on the trap-out box? Is that handles on the narrow sides of the box?

Could you post pictures of your hives, I would like to get some construction ideas?

Charles
Sirach

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »
Charles, I built all of my equipment until late last year when the mill I got my lumber from (up in Maine) shut it's doors. Now I build MOST of my stuff. The top in the photo is a plywood migratory top made from form plywood. The handles you're looking at are just simple 1x2 cleats. I like the cleats because they have a slightly larger hand hold and it's easier on the fingertips if the box is full of honey. They are harder to stack on pallets though.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:55:16 am »
Scott, thank you for the information! I like the cleats.

Charles
Sirach