Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hurricanes  (Read 6067 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Hurricanes
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:46:59 pm »
Thankfully i see that "Erin" has been downgraded hope member has suffered adversely. I have "dean" to deal with this weekend. Any one to put up my bees for a little while? :-D

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Hurricanes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »
Good luck and strap them all down good.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:25:35 pm »
what do you have to do to secure your bees? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:40:19 pm »
The ideal scenario would be to move them but thats not an option. So plan b is to move them in close to each other and then try to nail them togethr so that no one box can topple over. have bought some sugar for feeding, i think i will have to feed out in the open though, i dont want to break the propolis seal by going into the boxes.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 07:17:57 pm »
Well its strengthening, I have decided to move the bees into an abandoned building for the duration. I will keep the hives sealed. Amthinking of sprinkling some ants powder on the floor to keep away the red ants. I know its dangerous, but i dont see an alternative at this time. Any thoughts/options?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:31:07 pm »
good luck sean.  we will be praying for you and yours.  they do expect it to be bad.  i have been put on standby for here, depending on where it comes in.

don't know about the ants.  can you smear the base of what you put them on with some grease?  that seems to keep the ants from crawling up into my bird feeders.  they have not bothered my hives to much.

keep us posted.  we are watching the storm.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:47:32 pm »
Grease! forgot about that. Thnks for the idea and the prayers. How near the sea are you. It should be a category 4 by the time it reaches me and it is still expected to intensify

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »
i'm clear over on the west coast.  i do disaster response for red cross.  due to time limitations, i only do domestic response.  that is a minimum 3 week commitment at any one time.  international response can be for months at a time.  if this thing hits our gulf coast with any force, i'll probably go in early September.  i like to go in immediately, but i am having out of town guests and it would be rude to tell them to stay home  :-).

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:01:38 pm »
ok. I am praying that this one will behave like most of the others and veer off at the 11th hour. If not, guess you guys wont be hearing from me for a while.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:15:51 pm »
We'll be praying for you here. stay safe

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:18:52 pm »
Good luck Sean, wish you and yours the best. :)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 12:53:02 pm »
WEll the rain has started(from about 3 a.m. in my area. Still went down and moved the hives so i think they should be secured. I will have to go down there tomorrow assuming that i can get  out so that i can let them out and feed them.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 02:38:27 am »
Oh Sean, I wish the best for you, please let us know how things are.  You are on my mind and will be on my mind.  These disasters of our world make our hearts go out.  Before the bees, take care of yourself and yours.  You need to be the safest, remember that.  Have a great day, best of my thoughts are with you.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:03 am »
Sean,

Just flew back from NY. Hoping you are safe.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20:41 am »
Hoping Jamaica and you are safe. Was thinking about you this weekend as my wife and I might be in Jamaica soon and saw the hurrican on wetaher channel. Hope all is well!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 06:54:47 pm »
Sean, yell at us when you can, we are very interested in how you made out and wishing you the very best, Jp.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:20:05 pm »
I'm Back :) Just getting back power) We(the bees & I) fared out ok thankfully and thanks to all who had us on your minds. Spent about 6 hrs taking in and putting out the hives so they were safe. I had left out 2 hives(one 4 boxes & the other 3) and 1 nuc. Came back after "dean" and they were quite ok. Only problem now is food. I started feeding today but didnt have enough sugar so i'll be back again tomorrow.

Overall country wise most areas suffered less damage than with hurricane ivan a few years ago. There was less water damage but more wind damage especially areas on the southern coast.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:26 pm »
That's good to hear you are safe and glad the damage is not as bad as it could have been.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:26 pm »
thanks again. don't think i'll be moving the bees for another hurricane though.

1) was moving them  and one super slid off i got close to 30 stings all over my back(no adverse reaction)
2) moving 32 hives plus blocks back and forth is exhausting
3) in light of the fact that those i didnt move where ok, it wasn't necessary

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 03:35:56 am »
Happy to see you fared well Sean, good to have you back!

anything