Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have had enough.  (Read 14284 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: I have had enough.
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 12:22:03 am »
Why don't they look into why 25% survived and if those traits continued in future generations.
I

Those straits have searched everywhere and they have searched how they have survived.  You may read reports from internet.
Universities have done this job all the time. - Because they have money and that is why researchers exist.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:01 am »
Why don't they look into why 25% survived and if those traits continued in future generations.
I

Those straits have searched everywhere and they have searched how they have survived.  You may read reports from internet.
Universities have done this job all the time. - Because they have money and that is why researchers exist.

My point is exactly that. They did not do the research in Florida when the Varroa invaded and now they all spout off numbers that have no research to back them.

If you can find a feral hive Vaorra report that pertains to Florida from when the Varroa first were detected (1987) to several years after. I would be more than happy to look at it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 12:52:52 am »

They did not do the research in Florida

Jep. Here is some headlines from Apimondia 2007
http://www.apimondia2007melbourne.com/english/program.php

---
*Maria Alejandra Palacio, Argentina, A honey bee stock improvement program in Argentina

* Ralph Buchler, Germany, Varroa tolerance selection program in Germany

*Lilia De Guzman, USA, Russian Honey Bees to be Resistant to Varroa destructor

*Osman Kaftanoglu USA, Future Possibilities of Bee Breeding and Instrumental Insemination

*Fert Gilles, France, To improve the quality of queens

*Malcolm Sanford, USA, Global Bee Breeders Initiative

20 minutes each time to explain

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 11:04:28 am »
LOVE the F.U.D.- I might just start the anti-fud political party in your honor. And yes Understudy, I have tought before and will again in the future for sure. Right now I am trying to learn how to keep bees, make wine and relax some more. This topic is truly cool.

I might point out that AHB might be the best manner in which to keep zoning laws from legislating against beekeeping.

Yes, feral is symantic. Personally, i wouldn't accept a feral "tag" until the animal we are discussing lives at least one seasonal cycle on its own. Shows an ability to survive. For bees, I would suggest at least one year. They have to survive the seasonal highs and lows-winter in aprticular. For a cat, perhaps its first unassisted kill and meal. No garbage picking, but a kill. Other animals would have a diff scale. If I caych a swarm that left someones hives last week they are not Feral IMO, AND they will not carry the "survivor" genes so coveted. For that, Perhaps two or more years of feral lifestyle would be needed. So on a genetic level, it would/might be two or more years.

I would suggest asking the florida legislature  for a tax break as a beekeeper. Perhaps a tax credit. Why? you relase good drones in the fight against the big bad AHB. A regular john Wayne . Start a campaign for public assistance or the state will be over run w/ AHB. Haven't they seen the news?!?! People might die! Stop the killing-keep EHB! Dont fight it- join it! Dont let all your hard work go uncompensated!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 11:13:07 am »
Konasdad

You know what that may be one of the best ideas out there. Asking for the tax credit. I would be inclined to sign the BMP(Beekeeping Management Practice) if I was going to do that. The one thing I would like is that feral colonies that are tested and show up AHB negative also receive that. You know this is going to rattle in my head all day. I like this.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2007, 12:30:21 pm »
Yes, feral is symantic. Personally, i wouldn't accept a feral "tag" until the animal we are discussing lives at least one seasonal cycle on its own. Shows an ability to survive. ...  For a cat, perhaps its first unassisted kill and meal. No garbage picking, but a kill.
Topic drift: My barn cats kill rodents regularly. It's their JOB. I don't consider them feral. Thanks to my daughters, they are all very friendly and cuddly. All of which validates your initial statement that "feral is symantic". Regardless of whether it's bees or cats, we can argue about what defines "feral".

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2007, 01:11:38 pm »
Topic drift: My barn cats kill rodents regularly. It's their JOB. I don't consider them feral. Thanks to my daughters, they are all very friendly and cuddly. All of which validates your initial statement that "feral is symantic". Regardless of whether it's bees or cats, we can argue about what defines "feral".

Does she feed them and/or nurture them in any way. If so then they are no longer feral. If not then they are friendly feral cats. Not unusual.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 09:59:02 pm »
Konasdad

You know what that may be one of the best ideas out there. Asking for the tax credit. I would be inclined to sign the BMP(Beekeeping Management Practice) if I was going to do that. The one thing I would like is that feral colonies that are tested and show up AHB negative also receive that. You know this is going to rattle in my head all day. I like this.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I'd say to make them prove it.  If they are destroying every swarm on the assumption that it's feral does that mean that a marked queen that just swarmed is now feral and AHB.  The very queens they insist everybody use to prove EHB.  This is government idiocy at its best.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!