Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Me and my Cockatoo  (Read 2912 times)

Offline CWBees

• House Bee
    • CWBees
Me and my Cockatoo
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:32 pm »
A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Me and my Cockatoo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:40:37 pm »
Neat!  Do Cockatoos talk?

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:22:41 pm »
Ahh a nice Suplhur Crested Cockatoo!

We have millions of them here and they make great pets. They live to well over 100 years of age in captivity believe it or not. In the wild they live in huge noisy flocks and eat farmers crops and are often shot or poisoned. They also eat cedar window sills, car windscreen wipers are also a favourite.

They have very distinct personalities and are real clowns. They interact with humans better than any other bird.

You bet they can talk. They are great mimics and can have vocabularies of hundreds of words. They also do accents and lawnmowers, whistling kettles, barking dogs, ringing telephones etc.

If you say the same things each day at the same time, like "get out of bed" or "Johnny youll be late for school" in a few weeks the bird will be saying that at the same time!

They really love you to talk to them, you can see them twisting their heads and listening to what you are saying. When they rattle of a sentence, it really sounds like a person talking.

The Cockies in Zoos etc, where there are lots of people talking to them all the time say the most amazing things!

A word of warning, they pick up swear words pretty quickly!

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:20:42 pm »

A word of warning, they pick up swear words pretty quickly!

How do they know the difference?   :?   You must just be saying them more often!   :-D

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 04:23:04 pm »
You know what they call you EVEN if you only have one cockatoo -  :-*

Seriously though (I humbly appologise to those who got my joke above) it amazes me that many birds will live long in the 70s, 80s, over 100 years old. Imagine that life, sitting on that same stick for 95 years, eating the same freakin' bird seed and an occasional apple slice. The only relief is that hopefully when they change your papers, you'll get the funnies or the latest member of the Bush party to RESIGN, FIRED, or INDICTED.

I'm sure a hundreds year living as a bird in a cage, as long as you face the TV and they keep the noise down at night - isn't so bad. I wouldn't want it, but remember that around 2 million Americans are spending 10 or more years in State and Federal Prisons, even though us tax payers are sporting the tab, I don't mind letting murders (and worse) remain alive "at least" 40 years longer than they wish they would die - we'll always be in debt, so I hope they all live to 105 years old. Happy birthday!

if you can't have Capitol Punishment (which NJ "has" but hasn't used in 30 years) when they call it death row here, they ain't kiddin' - you die of old age waiting to be executed. The bennies are pretty good too - you get your own room and very good attention - it cost a lot to keep a Death Row Inmate Alive, much more than a General Population lifer. The other choice is siding with the Arian NAtion, Skinheads, East LA Gang-bangers, or Muslams. I'll take solitary for live, a shower a week, one hour a day in the pen-yard, keep your toilet clean and you can do most ANYTHING in there - lol.

What were we talking about..... oh yeah, cockatoos  :-P

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:15:08 am »
What were we talking about..... oh yeah, cockatoos 

:jail:  I can understand you.

We are lucky enough reading your terrific posts.