Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is it true...(newbee question)  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
is it true...(newbee question)
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:15:54 pm »
This is my first year, lol first month actually, of beekeeping.  I've been reading and researching but nothing prepares you for actually having.  I installed my nuc May 12.  I did a quick look as I was hiving them because it was chilly and windy that day.  I'm running 10 frames and when I looked at them a week later they hadn't even begun to build on the new frames but did have a frame partially built but nothing in it.  SO, trying to avoid many new bee mistakes I'm trying not to open the hive too much so I've been observing from the outside.  What I see is some foragers coming back loaded with pollen.  Does this mean that there are new bees being fed inside?
My eyesight isn't all that great so when looking at the frames I only noticed a couple in the larvea stage and the frame that the queen was on was so chock full of bees I couldn't see anything.  I will get a magnifying glass in addition to my readers and have just ordered a brush so maybe next time I can swipe some of them away and get a really good look.  Plus I am going to bring my camera so I can look long and hard from my computer screen.
Thank you for your advice.
Sally

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: is it true...(newbee question)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »
Bringing in pollen is a good sign.   I wouldn't be too hung up on how much comb they have drawn.   You need a good flow and warm weather for them to draw comb quickly.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Moots

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:57:17 pm »
...I will get a magnifying glass in addition to my readers and have just ordered a brush so maybe next time I can swipe some of them away and get a really good look.  Plus I am going to bring my camera so I can look long and hard from my computer screen.
Thank you for your advice.

Another good trick is to blow on the bees on the frame, this tends to move them out the way and you can get a look at what lies beneath.   :)
The camera is a really good idea also, although I never seem to be organized enough or take the time to actually do it.  :(

Good luck to you and your bees!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:27 pm »
Don't blow on the bees without a veil on!!!  The warm Carbon Dioxide will sent guard bees look for the source, stinger first.  Very hard learned lesson, earned an upper lip that some women would pay big bucks for.  The runny eyes and snotty nose... not so much.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Moots

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »
Don't blow on the bees without a veil on!!!  The warm Carbon Dioxide will sent guard bees look for the source, stinger first.  Very hard learned lesson, earned an upper lip that some women would pay big bucks for.  The runny eyes and snotty nose... not so much.

D,
I kind of assumed that part...but probably should have mentioned it.  :laugh:

Thanks for the catch!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
No problem.  I just remember the absolute shock followed by the pain, then the sneezing, and runny eyes.  It all happened so fast.  I too blow on them on occasion to get them to move but I'd forgotten that I didn't have my veil on when I did it.  I'm certain it would have been hilarious to see on Youtube but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I felt about as smart as someone walking barefoot into a public bathroom...
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:28 pm »
I'm up for a youtube moment if you would like to demonstrate!  :-D :-D

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »
What I see is some foragers coming back loaded with pollen.  Does this mean that there are new bees being fed inside?

I installed a package 2 days ago, (48 hours on the dot) and the queen is still in her cage with cork on until I take it off tomorrow at 9:30 AM. Today I have seen bees bringing back pollen all day, no chance of new bees in my case.
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »
It does seem to get them a little antsy when you blow on them... I tend to just touch them with my fingers and they will move right out the way.... At least that works for me. I have a brush but have never used it as of yet. Perhaps i never will... :)
Marshall

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »
Duly noted.  Lol. Veil very important!
Maybe I'll be able to open them this weekend if the weather cooperates.  Monday is supposed to be warmer than Saturday or Sunday.
Sally

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:02:05 am »
Arkie,
I find it a good sign, though not foolproof, that when foragers
are bringing in pollen; 1.they have drawn enough comb to store it
2. there is a very good chance that there is a queen present and
ready to lay. I do several removals a week and it always puts my mind
at ease when I see pollen being gathered.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:49 pm »
>  What I see is some foragers coming back loaded with pollen.  Does this mean that there are new bees being fed inside?

I consider it a good sign.  It's not proof of anything.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:07 pm »
Pollen is a very good sign.  Your spring weather has been dicey, so it sounds like all is going well in there.  Personally I think the bee brush is an evil invention.  As long as the queen is not on the frame, you can shake a lot of bees off the frame and into the hive.  As you develop your "bee eyes", you won't need to remove the bees.  I spent a lot of time googling "bee frame images", and also a lot of time watching you tube videos.  I didn't have a mentor when I got bees, so dove into the internet, and learned a ton!  It's a lot easier to study frame pics and such from behind the safety of your computer!   :-D  Have fun with your bees! 

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
Dicey weather to say the least.  Yesterday was in the 80's and today it won't reach 55 with 40's at night for the next 3nights.  Hopefully it'll warm up so they can really get things going in there.
Sally