Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ross Rounds  (Read 7081 times)

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
Ross Rounds
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:45:49 am »
Anyone know where you can buy Ross Rounds (or something similar) in Australia?

malachii

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: Ross Rounds
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:11:27 am »
They used to be available from Penders (that was some years ago) and on making inquiries with them early this year they no longer stock them. I checked out a few of the other beekeeping suppliers but was unable to locate anyone that sold them in Australia. I then went direct to Mann Lake in the US and purchased them (that was before our dollar dropped). The only problem I see is when Penders used to sell them they also sold thin surplus foundation as the normal foundation is a little thick.
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page37.html#CH-121

Kevin

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:15 pm »
If you are a bit handy with wood work you could have a go at Romanov comb sections I plan on having a go at these this year if I can get off my rear end in time to make up the frames and collars  :-D

Offline Simon

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:16:44 am »
I got some of the Romanov style gear from Redpaths a fair while ago.  They clipped together neatly and looked good, but sadly I didn't get to try them out before the borers did.  Redpaths don't seem to have them listed anymore on their web page and I haven't been able to find anyone else in Australia that have them for sale.  I have had the idea for a while of trying to come up with a similar homemade system to fit in an ideal frame/super - from memory, I don't think that the ones I had fitted neatly into a standard ideal frame ( ... but I do have a touch of C.R.A.F.T.).  The way that the section holders folded up and clipped together with the little finger joints on the ends was pretty clever. Thanks Prestonpaul for the link, that has given me a few more ideas about how I might be able to build some myself.

Simon

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:34:13 am »
No problem, looks pretty easy if you have access to a table saw (I have a Triton workbench which should do the job)

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:42 pm »
If you are a bit handy with wood work you could have a go at Romanov comb sections I plan on having a go at these this year if I can get off my rear end in time to make up the frames and collars  :-D

Oooh I like that, going to give that a go this season (if I get the time....)

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:45:47 am »
Did anyone try the Romanov sections and if so how did they go?
I'd like to give it a try this Spring.

ML

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:36:54 am »
Did anyone try the Romanov sections and if so how did they go?
I'd like to give it a try this Spring.

ML
Got all set up for it but the spring was no good, to wet and cold so missed the boat. Maybe next year.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:33:52 am »
I might try and set myself up over this winter for this coming spring.

Do you know how drawn out the comb is supposed to be?
I'm thinking that if the capped comb isn't drawn out as far as the edge of the wood Romanov frame/box, then the wood will support all the weight of the comb section once it is packaged and would prevent damage to the comb surface. Does this sound right?

Also any leads on clear plastic boxes to package them in? I've been trawling the internet for something suitable in Australia but haven't found anything yet.

ML

Offline Simon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:39 am »
I found these at Penders https://www.penders.net.au/hive-parts/bee-o-pac-honey-sections2013-09-18-07-30-19-detail.html
Similar to Ross Rounds and Romanov Sections, but the Penders picture isn't really good enough to see exactly what they are like.  I believe that the Bee-O-Pac System incorporates plastic containers for the comb - i.e. harvest the comb sections and just add the lid to each piece.  This page has a pretty good description of the process: http://www.beebehavior.com/bee-o-pac.php

Simon