Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody ever get stung on the nose?  (Read 8124 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Anybody ever get stung on the nose?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
I got stung one the nose on the skin between the nostrils.  I apparently got the stinger out fo the skin fast enough to minimize the swelling but my nose and eyes ran like faucets.  So far that has got to be the most painful sting I have gotten by far.  I'd take 5 in a fingertip versus one there.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
So a sting on the nose is worth 5 in the hand?

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 08:22:56 am »
You folks are scaring the dickens out of me. I got a bee in my veil this week, and all I could think about was "Don't get stung in the nose!," so I ran around the yard ripping the veil off to let the bee out. I looked like a wild woman who should not be trusted with bees.

I'm almost of a mind to stop wearing the veil because I so routinely get visitors inside it.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 09:20:53 am »
Oh, I would be more afraid of a bee climbing inside my ear and getting stuck............. :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 09:50:21 am »
Peggy (my lovely bride) had a bee somehow back into her ear and sting her in the ear canal. I had to use a flashlight and tweezers to remove the stinger.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jacbad

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 10:30:43 am »
:evil: Well my wife got stung inside the nostril 4 days ago. Fortunately i cant describe the pain    :-D  ,but i was told in no uncertain terms that my bees have to get away from the house which was about forty yards from garage in unused stables.  This gave me the perfect excuse to start a covered apiary about 150 yards from the house and bring all the hives there. Been wanting to do that for a long time.  Thats the reason i joined your forum, since in sa they are scares and rarely used, because the covered area i have is 23' by 43' . Can anybody give me some idea as to what the maximum number of hives,longstroth, is i can keep under it also bearing in mind that my ladies are much more aggressive than yours when they are in a foul mood and i need to work with a hive without too much interference from other hives

btw Hardwood, thats a real fine quote you have there!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 02:22:44 pm »
23 x 43, I think you could easily have 2 to 4 rows of 20 hives each and still have room to work each one, easy. 

Just remember rule #1, when momma is happy, everybody is happy.

Offline jacbad

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »
Allenf
would you suggest that they can be in straight rows.  What about drifting or will there be no drifting since the hives are  all under cover?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 03:25:41 pm »
There will be some drift.   But look how your big boys unload pallets of hives and stack them all in rows in the fields.  If you are worried, paint the fronts different colors.   That is what I did.  I used cheap spray paint one day in the winter and painted them.   Used 4 colors and left every 5th white.   But long rows are ok with the hives. 

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
You could also paint patterns, too, correct?  That way you wouldn't have to buy several different colors?  I was thinking of trying that as the hives in the middle of my apiary don't seem to be doing as well as the hives on the outskirts.  I've done some reading and was wondering about drift.

As for being stung on the nose....I'm always careful when I have to scratch my nose through the veil, just in case a bee gets the idea.  No offense, but I'm making it a goal to live vicariously through the rest of you on this one!   ;)

Offline jacbad

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »
thank you for the advice :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:06 pm »
The last sting I got a couple of weeks ago was through the veil.   He got me on the chin.  Another place to watch out. 

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:54 am »
I thought my sting on the nose was bad, my wife got stung in the eye lid....OOOOOcccchhhhh, man the looked like it hurt. She said it was real bad, eye swelled shut for about 2 days. Looked like she got knocked out. She is a champ though, came do a cut-out 3 days later.

I told her to behave or I would have one of my many girls take her out, lol.

Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »
I have been stung on the tip of the nose once.  That really smarts.  Since than I have worn my vale almost 100% of the time around my bees.  I hardly flinch anymore when I get stung in the hands.  I actually think it helps my arthritis and back pain and I sort of like the itching in a weird way.  Just not in the face or nose. 
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »
  Yep I loked like some one drew 3 eyes on a ballon for almost a week.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 07:10:56 pm »
3 eyes?   Is there something we need to know?

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 05:48:28 am »
 Yes typing with fat fingers and not proof reading is a recipe for disaster
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 10:28:13 am »
 :-D

anything