Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help quickly please!!  (Read 2803 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Need help quickly please!!
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »
OK today is the day we install the package of bees into the hive for the 4H club.  Shawna the project manager just drove down to Sacramento to pick up the package at 12:00PM.

When she got to the store they told her that the package was made up just this morning, so she should not install the package into the hive today or the bees will fly away because they are not attached to the queen yet. They suggested we wait about 24 hours to give the package time to attach to the queen.

We have about 15 kids scheduled to be at the hive at 2:00PM and to late to start cancelling it all.  But we don't want to do anything stupid.

Should we just wait the 24 hours to install the package (tomorrow we are getting a big rain storm also), or just open the package and install them.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this??

I appreciate your help
Annette

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
Re: Need help quickly please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
eeek..  I would install, but leave the queen caged.  However I'm not an expert.   Possibly a time to try out a honey b healthy spray or a sugar water lemon grass  mist over them, I have read that that helps with acceptance.  I have not tried it.   
Charla Hinkle

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:51:08 pm »
I suppose spray and screened entrance is an alternative. in my experience,  I'd let them sit closer to 48 hrs.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »
have you a spare frame of brood to pop in there? i see no harm in screening the entrance as long as you feed. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »
Might try a frame of brood if you have a hive that can spare it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:08:44 pm »
no frame of brood, this is a hive on another person's property, not on mine.

I think we will wait the 24 hours,or install tonight before dark so they will not fly out. Also screen the entrance.

Thanks for the replies

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
I met with the 4H club this afternoon.  It was agreed to just wait the 24 hours to let the package of bees bond.  The Sacramento Beekeeping Store sent along a flyer with the package of bees with a large warning "Do not install these bees until Sunday evening". Shawna the project manager did not feel good about installing them today. 

So tomorrow evening we go ahead and install. Thanks for the many responses to my emergency post. I appreciate all the help I receive here.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »
I think you did the right thing.

I am so glad you give your time to the 4H kids. Most are really wanting to learn and it is a great organization that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow and be sure to take pics for the kids to have when they get old.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
The kids are amazing and so happy to be around the bees. Today wasn't a total bust.  We hung around and talked bee stuff for several hours and did some question and answering.
Tomorrow we are expecting a bad rain storm.  If it is mild rain, we will install the bees, bad rain, we will wait another day.

Thanks
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:24:41 am »
Update!!

Installed the bees into the hive this morning at about 0900AM because we were expecting a bad rain storm later in the day. It went well, with only one kid getting stung (he took it like a man). Pretty cool, wet weather now for a couple of days so I inserted into the hive a frame of honey right next to where the queen cage is hanging.

This family that is hosting the 4H club (meaning the hives are on their property, but paid for by the 4H club) are so thrilled right now. They describe hiving the bees like a new baby coming home from the hospital. They have 4 kids, horses, gardens, and now bees.

Next week we will move the new nuc I made up from splitting one of my hives onto their property and that will be their 2nd hive.

It is so much fun doing the beekeeping with the kids and I am enjoying it more than I ever expected to.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »
It went well, with only one kid getting stung (he took it like a man).

Way to go, Annette. :)
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:38 pm »
Very nice work.  It is the most fun and rewarding helping others get involved into beekeeping.

You are not only helping others you are putting a positive light onto beekeeping itself.
Great Job!
Joe S.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:12:50 am »
Thanks everyone

anything