Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Bodies  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Destruckdoz

• New Bee
Hive Bodies
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:02:16 am »
Are three Deep Brood chambers unheard of?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Hive Bodies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:28:46 am »
No. I think I've heard of five.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hive Bodies
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 11:03:21 am »
I've often seen five.  I HATE them though.  I worked several of someone elses on Monday that were five deeps and my back still hurts.

I've seen queens laying in five mediums though.  I don't mind that at all.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Hive Bodies
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:02:42 pm »
My long hive is like that. The queen has no problem laying in what equals almost 5 brood boxes. It's a really big hive. In a couple weeks I'm going to build more boxes and order frames to do a split from it. It's cool to have a big hive, sort of. But last year it grew really big, stored lots of honey fast, then had to eat it all up because of rain. Where as the smaller normal size hive actually had more honey to give me after all the rain.

Maybe after I do the split though, and give that hive bunches of fresh frames it'll take off and store lots of honey. It'll be interesting to see, since that hive will have all the workers..... minimum of 22 fresh frames.... but have to build up all that wax before storing honey. Hmm. We'll see how it goes.

Beth

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Hive Bodies
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:17:07 am »
I use to keep 3 brood champers. The lowest is shilly and it tends to be full of pollen. But it helps that queen does to come lay eggs to supers.  If I use 2 langstroth box for brood, it is not enough. I do not use exluder.

I use farrar boxes for honey.

In good hive I have  3 brood boxes, 4-6 honey supers. If colony is not bigg enough, I put 2 weak together for canola yield.

Of course I have weak hives 3 boxes or so. Then i join them to one bigg or from 3 weak I make 2 strong.

When I have 3 brood boxes, I lift them gradully black comb frames upwards and take them away when they are full of honey and empty of pollen.