Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No place to lay!  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
No place to lay!
« on: June 22, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »
Here's a video I took today. Pulled the only frame in the third box with comb and there was the queen. The frame was full of eggs, larvae, and honey. She was running all around looking to no avail. Also had empty queen cells but don't think there looking to use them. http://youtu.be/PthZV2WSVgc

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: No place to lay!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:31:23 pm »
Good shooting and good info. I consider any video that don't give me motion sickness a good shot.

You were talking about the queen cells. Rookie question; The ones in the middle you called a supersedure (sp) and the ones on the bottom you referred to as a swarm cell. Is their locations the reason for the two different names or was it at different times of the season of their creation?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:34:04 pm »
That's the theory. Not a hard and fast rule though.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »
 What is he queen roaming around thinking --- She is probably thinking - who cut the dang lights on :-D

A cell is not a queen cell until it is layed in. Bees will keep anticipation cups or whatever folks call them just to have them ready. They will tear them down move them here or there or just leave them. You can usually look at the shape of the mouth of the cell and tell the difference between it and a viable queen cell that has an egg in it.

Location of cells in reference to type of cell, swarm or superceure, I think is overated.The condtion of the hive is the best clue to type of cell. Is the hive overcrowed (swarm), Is it weak and queen seems to be poor (supercedure), Is the hive weak and queenless (emergency). Don't get hung up with location of cell. Just my opinion and evryone has them, in particualr the books ;)
John 3:16

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »
I agree with that. In my case they made the cells where the eggs and larvae was.  About middle ways on the face. Yes, they will always have cups all around.  :) d2

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:30 am »
I'm a newbie so not trying to give insight but the video raises a question in my head.... I was under the impression that the queen wouldn't cross honey to lay, but that seems like what she is doing...... I am almost certain I have read this before... Perhaps I misunderstood...
Marshall

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:21:55 am »
What you are referring to is when the brood chamber is full, the bees have stored honey in all the frames and cells in the box just above the brood chamber and an empty box is put on top of the box that is full of honey. The queen will seldom cross the frames of honey to get to the empty. If she has already laid eggs in frames and then they are finished with stored honey, different story. You can have a box with a frame of honey, frame of brood, frame of honey, and on and on.The queen will run around on a frame with honey and brood.  :) d2

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:51 am »
Did he smoke the hive before he entered it --- you would run too if your house was on fire :evil: Just kidding but she maybe anywhere in the brood chamber or supers being laid in after you disturb the hive. As d2 said what you are refering too uis whole suoers of honey above the laying area. Don't usually cross them. The joy of running the same size frames for brood and honey is you can easily remedy that by breaking up the honey and moving some frames up or down a needed.
John 3:16

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
I did smoke the top before I opened it up. Not much though. I got nice bees.

I found her a few weeks ago without my camera of course. And she was laying away. I had the frame out for a good while showing the kids.

anything