Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planning of vacations  (Read 2852 times)

Offline RonH

• New Bee
Planning of vacations
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »
As a newbie what do you do when you go away on vacation...are hives ok for a few days, a week or two without being tended to...I could have someone check in on them but they could do little if something was wrong...what if they swarmed while away...would they be lost...just wondering how I should plan ahead and what you do? thanks

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Planning of vacations
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:21:23 pm »
Remember. They are not as dependant as livestock and they have lived many more years without us to do for them. Check on them before you go away and if you feel that you need to do something in the case of they might swarm, You may want to put out a swarm hive, baited to catch any swarms while you are away.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:57 am »
If there is a flow on just make sure you leave them enough supers especially if you are going to be gone a while so they don't run out of room.
As Sparky said you could put out bait hives just in case they swarm while you are gone.
The beauty of keeping bees is that they are much more independant than anything else you can raise, they feed themselves, put themselves in at night, defend themselves pretty well, clean up after themselves and don't make much noise... the perfect pet :-D
If you need to be gone for an extensive time you might be able to find another beekeeper to peek in on them otherwise go have fun!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:54:03 am »
This has been sort of a problem for me. My husband wants to go away for about 2 weeks in the Spring. The time when the hives may swarm. This is the time of year I constantly check up on them and introduce empty frames into the brood chamber to prevent swarming.  I have been very successful doing this. So I don't want to go on vacation at this time of year. And now that I have 4 hives I will be kept very busy keeping them from swarming.

So I told my hubby that we have to plan the vacation another time, like winter time or summer time would be ok.  By around July or August I don't worry so much about them swarming.

I am hoping to teach this women from the 4H club to take care of my bees so I can take vacations whenever I want.

But it really has been sort of a problem for me.

When I am gone away to long I worry about them. I like to keep up with them.

Other beekeepers here on the forum are much more relaxed than I am. It is just that 2 years ago we took a trip for 2 weeks in April, and when I returned I had lost a queen in one hive. Fortunately, it wasn't to late and I was able to drive down to Sacramento and purchase one and the hive accepted her.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
Don't worry so much Annette, I understand what you are saying but you could put out the bait hives and make sure enough supers are on and go away for two weeks.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »
Perhaps down the line I will not worry so much about it all, but I like to give them attention when they are coming out of winter. I just feel that this is the most crucial time and after I have gotten over the main swarming time,  I feel more relaxed after that.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
I hear what you are saying, if you are worried about them then you won't be able to relax and enjoy yourself.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:01:58 pm »
i leave for two or three weeks at a time even in spring.  if they look like they are close to full, i pop another box on before i go.  i also leave boxes out for swarms.

unlike my trips, yours would probably be planned?  you can make sure they are fed up, have a good water source, etc. then vacation without guilt.  they will be fine.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:28 pm »
Right Kathy that is the problem.  I could easily go away after I have taken care of them. Once I know all is well I can leave, but our vacations are planned events and then I can see the time coming when we have to leave and I feel overwhelmed trying to care for them, or sometimes I can't do anything up until I leave due to the weather or something.

Anyway, I think I just need a few more years under my belt to feel more confident.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 08:54:58 pm »
i was aiming that more at ron since he lives up here in the frozen PNW  :-D

i figure once they are fed and have room, there isn't to much more i can do for them.  don't have to worry about honey supers and stuff until later in the year....right around hurricane season!  then i just throw on honey supers and hope for the best.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.