Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?  (Read 57536 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:04:33 pm »
I do not have a scale and would like to know how much honey to fill a quart and  pint canning jars?  Lbs. and oz's would be great. Thanks!!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:15:40 pm »
One quart honey = three pounds.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:21 pm »
thanks steve!  any idea on pint jars?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:45:08 pm »
quart...44 oz.
pint.....22 oz.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:54:50 pm »
Man you guys got big pints, my pints way a lb. remember the saying ,, a pints a pound the world around.
16 US ounces of honey weigh 1.36 pounds (or 0.615 kilogramm) and for good measure, lets say a deviation of + or - 5gm. specific to the water content.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:57 am »
A pints a pound never made sense to me. a pint of lead would weigh more than a pint of water...

Great conversion calculator,
 thanks,
Alfred

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:15:26 am »
so  a lb of feathers weighs less than a lb of lead ?
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:02 am »
so  a lb of feathers weighs less than a lb of lead ?

No, but the volume would be very different and a pint of feathers would weigh considerably less than a pint of lead.

A volume of honey (in volume ounces) weighs about 50 percent more (in weight ounces).
1 pint = 16 volume ounces.
1 pint of honey weighs 1 1/2 pounds (24 weight ounces)
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:13:03 am »
If you need this info. to be put on jars of honey for sale;
Better check the Wisconsin & Federal laws,{ Federal wt. law does apply to honey } more to it than lbs. & ozs.

And when you say you have a lb. it better be a lb. or a tad more !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »
Ah yes....were getting there.

Surprised nobody asked me why I had 22 and 44 oz in a pint and quart jar.

Honey is measured in net weight. Fluid oz. has nothing to do with it. Your selling pounds or weight.

So to answer the question "How many pounds are in a quart" is a trick question of sorts. Quart is a measure of volume for most things. But if your talking weight, that can vary by a wide amount as already mentioned. A filled quart of water is of a different weight than a quart of filled lead.

So here is what I did. I took a quart jar. Put it on the scale. zeroed it. Then added honey to the level that looked good and it read 44 oz by weight. Keep in mind not all quart jars are the same.  So although I'm selling honey in quart jars, my label states you are getting exactly what you are paying for.....44 oz of honey by WEIGHT....and is clearly stated on the label!

I did the same for the pint and " Net wt. 22 oz." is what is on the label.

All labels I have even seen in the honey industry are marked as "net wt." and not "fluid oz."

Hope this helps.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:12:51 pm »
Bjorn;

Don't the Federal law require weight in both  pound/onces & grams for honey ?
Seems as if I read that some were, guess I need to look it up !

I have been wrong before.
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:19:44 pm »
At our local farmers market I've seen it in plain quart jars with no label, and just a sign that says "Honey -$8"  I don't know if it's legal or not, but the honey police didn't seem to be making a big deal about it.

Of course I live in the sticks.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
David;
Tennessee Honey Law;

Read second sentence, second paragraph then go to item #14

http://cpa.utk.edu/pdffiles/cpa162.pdf

The " honey police " as you say, may not come around, but don't bet your bippy !
Ignorance of the Law ----------- ?

A lot of people that are turned in who have bottled products, are reported to the Co. Health Dept. by their competitors at farmers mkts, craft fairs etc.

Oh, my biggest close by City is around 2500

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:37 pm »
David;
Tennessee Honey Law;

Read second sentence, second paragraph then go to item #14

http://cpa.utk.edu/pdffiles/cpa162.pdf

The " honey police " as you say, may not come around, but don't bet your bippy !
Ignorance of the Law ----------- ?

a lot of people that are turned in who have bottled products, are reported to the Co. Health Dept. by their competitors at farmers mkts, craft fairs etc.

Oh, my biggest close by City is around 2500

It wasn't me.  I'm still wishing my bees would just make enough to feed their selves.

Personally I think that it should be properly labeled.  I don't see what difference it makes whether it's labeled by weight, volume or mouthfulls though other than the law says so.  I guess to make sure that the packaging isn't misleading. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 05:30:26 pm »
I seriously doubt the Feds care about whether honey is sold by weight or volume.  Please post an actual law.  Barring that, it's state law that matters.  i sell by volume, period.  Here is the Texas law for honey sales:

SUBCHAPTER E. LABELING AND SALE OF HONEY

Sec. 131.081.  USE OF "HONEY" ON LABEL.  A person may not label, sell, or keep, offer, or expose for sale a product identified on its label as "honey," "liquid or extracted honey," "strained honey," or "pure honey" unless the product consists exclusively of pure honey.

Amended by Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 1884, ch. 350, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1983.

Sec. 131.082.  USE OF BEE, HIVE, OR COMB DESIGN.  A person may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that resembles honey and that has on its label a picture or drawing of a bee, hive, or comb unless the product consists exclusively of pure honey.

Sec. 131.083.  SALE OF IMITATION HONEY.  A person may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that resembles honey and is identified on its label as "imitation honey."

Sec. 131.084.  SALE OF HONEY MIXTURES.  (a)  A person may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that consists of honey mixed with another ingredient unless:

(1)  the product bears a label with a list of ingredients; and

(2)  "honey" appears in the list of ingredients in the same size type of print as the other ingredients.

(b)  A person may not label, sell, or keep, expose, or offer for sale a product that contains honey mixed with another ingredient and contains in the product name "honey" in a larger size of type or print or in a more prominent position than the other words in the product name.

www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »
 :stayontopic:

What a waste..... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 01:31:33 am »
the way I understand it ,, a gal of honey is considered 12 pounds ,,,  but if your  selling it ,,  the legal way is have a scale ,

''' Surprised nobody asked me why I had 22 and 44 oz in a pint and quart jar."""

12 pounds to a gal =   192  oz        12 pounds  x 16 oz  =192 oz
4 qt in a gal     
  192 oz / 4 =  48 oz  of honey to the qt
2 pints to qt
  48 oz / 2 = 24 oz to a pint

but if you use the scale ( and subtract the weight of the jar )  even if you put 20 oz in a pint jar and put 20 oz on the label it is a legal label ..  like is said before ,  specific to the water content. a deviation of + or - will be there ..  so I would invest in a good scale ...   you don't want to get caught short .

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 09:08:22 am »
This has always confused me...I thought a gallon of honey was around 12 lbs.

But a quart only holds 44 oz, that is 11lbs per gallon.

So which is it? :?
Rick

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 10:12:19 am »
The following is a quote from the preamble for a volume to weight conversion chart.
I think it explains things a little better.

"In most case, food measured by volume, such as teaspoons, cups, pints, etc., does not weigh the number of ounces that would be contained in that measure if given in fluid ounces.  A fluid ounce is a measure based on the amount of space filled by one ounce of water.  Obviously, you cannot assume other substances have the same density as water, and will, therefore, weigh the same as water.

If you fill a measuring cup with honey, it will not weigh eight ounces -- because it is denser then water it will weigh 12 ounces.  If something other than water is being measured by volume, do not make the mistake of assuming that the 16 ounces in a pint equals the same 16 ounces in a pound.  To be certain, you must weigh the measured volume of the ingredient you want to use."
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

anything