Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Favorite type of honey  (Read 2212 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Favorite type of honey
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:23:21 pm »
Your favorite type of honey. Mine would have to be Tuepelo Honey. I am not so sure if it is the best honey taste wise but it is to me because it is the honey I grew up with. Its like an old friend. My grandfather also took a spoonful a day of it.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Re: Favorite type of honey
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:59:38 am »
I've never had tuepelo honey but can't wait to try it. :) It sounds very special. I really like all types of honey. I really like creamed honey and I'm in love with comb honey since I've never had it before I had my own hives. I love chewing the wax after.  Tastewise...I wish I could attend a honey tasting where you would try some and then were told of its origin. To me, my Belize honey is by far the best tasting honeys I've ever had.  Must be those exotic flowers and trees I'm not used to. :)
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:40:31 pm »
1st favorite - anything my bees make.  :)
Taste favorite - Black Locust honey.   Unbelievable - light and floral. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:34:00 pm »
I would love to try the black locust honey. In Wewahika Florida they have a honey festival every year. I will try to make it this year and get a variety. I just talked to our managers daughter in Florida. The first weekend in November she is going to go home and she will bring me back some Tupelo Honey. She goes to school near where I live

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20:39 pm »
Hard to beat tupelo... but sourwood is very good.  I actually buy tupelo and sourwood even though I have plenty of honey... occasionally I buy some other interesting things like thyme or eucalyptus.  But I get a lot of honey from people who give it to me and I like almost all of it.  Anything that doesn't have a bitter or mediciney aftertaste I like.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:03:53 pm »
I would like to try some lavender honey one day and other exotic honey. I tend to buy honey from places I visit though. I have to try this sourwood honey one day.

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:58 pm »
Sourwood honey is my favorite.

I grew up in southeast Tennessee right above the north Georgia mountains.  I never appreciated local honey (mainly sourwood) until I moved away from home.  Now I get a pint jar from my mom for Christmas.  Best present each year.

I have gravitated towards the darker honey's recently.  Not sure what my first crop will be next year.  Although I am 99.9% certain that it won't be sourwood, I sure am looking forward to it.
7a - 1650ft

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »
I am not sure what my crop will look like next year either. I am highly curious. I am in a field and there is lots of clover so it will have that going for it and might make it be a lighter honey but my fruit trees often break before the clover big time so perhaps they will add some unique twists to it.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Hm I guess I'll have to put black locust on my list of honeys to try. lol Someone gave me some honey for Christmas one year and it was black truffle acacia honey. Weird. Lol Acacia already has ThAt flavor, you know, and infused with the truffle...just strange. Maybe over cheese? but I just don't like it.  I've had lavender honey but just the store kind. lol When I was growing up, my one german grandma always had "Tannen Honig". Pine Honey. It was pretty good. You could taste the forest. lol I just recently learned that it's basically just sugar and actual pine needles boiled into a syrup. lol

I agree with you Robin. Anything my bees make is Awesome!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Barlon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:59 am »
My favorite honey is from my native stingless bee hives its completely different from any other honey I've ever tasted.

As for store bought I like almost any honey if the bees make it I like it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:01 am »
My favorite honey is my summer honey. Very floral and very good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 05:47:47 am »
Combl Honey.. Next would be creamed honey.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:58 am »
I am not sure if I have ever eaten or creamed or comb honey

Offline MimbresBees

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:53 pm »
My fave is the Peruvian Honey from stingless bees down in the Amazon, best in the world. I go down 2-3 time a year to Iquitos, Peru.
Next favourite is from my own bees in Oregon, June harvest pure Blackberry, and this years Tupelo I was able to buy from a FB user.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:08:16 am »
So far, I haven't had any that was bad, some is different, there are numerous colors, aroma and flavors.  There used to be a beek that live close moved his hives and would have lots of varieties.  I like the sourwood, tupelo, clover, privy hedge, gallberry, and all the rest I have got to try so far.  But like some have said, it is especially good when your bees made it.
Would like to have some of those stingless bees

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:40 am »
Does stingless honey have a different taste and texture compared to honeybee honey?

Offline MimbresBees

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 12:50:30 pm »
Does stingless honey have a different taste and texture compared to honeybee honey?

it's sweeter and extremely floral imo and more liquid, it's used in lots of amazonian medicines, very little pure honey gets to consumers. much used as a sweetener in foods, medicines and in making sugar cane alcohol called aguardente in Iquitos.
we work with a few locals in the region and in july and sept they bring us the little they harvest and we pay a premium price
to them. stingless bees produce very little honey per hive, maybe 350ml more or less at most. the most I've seen
is about was just under 750ml. the honey is harvested by cutting down trees they find and then the bees are just left to die. This summer was been the first I have tried to explain what beekeeping is about, it's hard to change a whole cultures attitude and they way they have done things for the last 100+yrs since the rubber boom came and destroyed their way of living.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 02:45:19 pm »
Hopefully you can change that. If you ever have any extra you want to sell though I will gladly buy some.