Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3lbs of Bees in a top bar hive.  (Read 6492 times)

Offline BC

• New Bee
3lbs of Bees in a top bar hive.
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:21 pm »
I'm going to be putting 3 lbs of bees in a 35" long top bar hive. The top bars are 1.25 wide. Do I need to put in the follower board ? If so, how many bars should I start off with. It's been getting down to the 30's at night and I was wanting to know if 3 lbs can heat the whole area.
Thanks

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: 3lbs of Bees in a top bar hive.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:05 pm »
An 8 frame medium is just a little over one cubic foot of volume (actually 1767 cu inches more or less) and is pretty roomy for a 3 pound package.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:51:19 pm »
If you HAVE a follower, sure.  If you don't, I wouldn't worry about it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BC

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:31 am »
Thanks for the info.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:26:14 am »
Man....3 lbs of bees (package???) the last week of February. That is an early start.

Just remember, you asked IF your bees NEED a follower board. Really different than asking if your bees would benefit from one.

Those three pound bees will diminish in numbers for up to the first 30 days. Brood area will be dictated by how much the cluster will cover, especially at night.

So I question the early start, by not doing everything possible to allow the bees to build as much as possible. Certainly a follower board is not needed, but your bees will be greatly benefitted by you using one.

a small nuc will build better in a smaller box than a larger box. Two frames will build faster in a five frame nuc, as compared to putting them in a ten frame box. That retained heat has much to do with it. Same concept is seen in a TBH.

I know some may not be striving for the healthiest, most productive hives. I am. So I use any tricks, management, and manipulations I can. And having those bees start off in a smaller volume space, will benefit the bees. Especially in February.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BC

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:59:19 am »
BjornBee,
Thanks for the info. I will be using the follower board. I'm also going to be keeping the hives in the house until the bees arrive. It might help having them at room temp before I set them up outside and install. The other hive is a langstroth.

I have another question. I have 2 small buckets of sugar syrup that have been sitting downstairs in the cold basement ( had no room in freezer )  since last summer. Would it still be good ? Should I do a taste test or dump it and make a fresh batch.

Thanks !

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:15 pm »
Man....3 lbs of bees (package???) the last week of February. That is an early start.

Just remember, you asked IF your bees NEED a follower board. Really different than asking if your bees would benefit from one.

Those three pound bees will diminish in numbers for up to the first 30 days. Brood area will be dictated by how much the cluster will cover, especially at night.

So I question the early start, by not doing everything possible to allow the bees to build as much as possible. Certainly a follower board is not needed, but your bees will be greatly benefitted by you using one.

a small nuc will build better in a smaller box than a larger box. Two frames will build faster in a five frame nuc, as compared to putting them in a ten frame box. That retained heat has much to do with it. Same concept is seen in a TBH.

I know some may not be striving for the healthiest, most productive hives. I am. So I use any tricks, management, and manipulations I can. And having those bees start off in a smaller volume space, will benefit the bees. Especially in February.

What beekeeper you know is not striving for the healthiest, most productive hives? Point them out so we know not to put any bees anywhere near that yard!

Hee hee, Bjorn!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »
Now JP...you know if I name names, I'll be pushing buttons, and will be strongly reprimanded.....  :-D

BC....I'd probably dump and start fresh.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BC

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 03:04:57 pm »
Dumping.

Thanks again.