Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally got my first sting.  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Finally got my first sting.
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:59 am »
Went to see the Fat Bee Man to get my two nucs today. I must say it was truly a great experience. He has hives EVERYWHERE.

If you ever want to get comfortable around bees just visit a yard with a few hundred hives and walk around without any protection. You will then realize you will mostly have nothing to fear from bees.

The first two nucs went without incident. He only used two LIGHT puffs of smoke and absolutely no problems. However when we went for the third nuc one errant bee stung me on the forearm. Still don't have any idea where she came from but I think I raised my arm and maybe hit her. I felt a burning sensation and looked down and saw a bee that looked like she a struggling to get off my arm then I realized she was attached to the stinger in my arm. So I brushed her aside and then flicked the stinger out of my arm. No adverse reaction other than a minute bit of swelling.

I now know the getting stung isn't a big deal.

I now have 4 hives in my bee yard.

Now the fun begins.

David

ps: Did I mention I LOVE beekeeping.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Finally got my first sting.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:05:06 am »
Sweet story. I got nailed in the face last week. Like you, there was a burning sensation. The stinger stayed in for about 5 minutes till I got back to the house and in front of a mirror. No swelling, but the area was tender for a few days. I'll be going through that hive again Monday, looking for the queen and adding a medium to both hives.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:56:55 am »
Steel Tiger- in the face with no swelling???? What. I dont mind getting hit but not in the face, look my lip. No laughing please ;)

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:06:13 am »
I've 4 cut outs so far and every time I end up in a tight spot or looking up. So my veil is always resting on my face. I was with this very gentle hive and I wasn't really worrying  about how my veil was positioned. I was just looking at the hive to determine the game plan from about 15ft away. Then it was like someone had a blow gun. Right in the forehead.
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
I was working them yesterday as a storm blew in.  Made a few nice nucs up and freed up some space.  Put on supers where needed.  Had the nucs closed up with screens over entrances and took all my gear off.  Started raining as I was putting the nucs in the truck.  I was in such a hurry that I grabbed the lid of one an left the body and 5 angry off frames of bees behind...  Surprisingly for the number of bees that were on my head and face I walked away with nothing.  They were bouncing off my forehead and everything. Yikes!

I have odd reactions.  Almost nothing 90% of the time with hands, then ill get one that turns my hand to a catchers mitt for a day.  Lips and eyes will swell but nothing everywhere else on the face.  I just end up with any sting I have being like a Nasty mosquito bite for 2-3 days.  The sting itself doesn't bother me.  It's the darn itching the next couple days!

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »
Regardless, I recommend you tell your general physician that you are keeping bees and get an epipen.  Insurance covers it and you are better safe than sorry.  And get familiar with your liability laws regarding YOU administering it to a guest.  The only people I know that have used them, used them on a visitor. 

Be careful still.  One sting is a day in the life.  You should know how your body reacts to multiple stings thou. so until you do, just make sure someone knows when you are with your bees.