Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding milk  (Read 11285 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: feeding milk
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:51 pm »
I'm agreeing with you Vetch. :)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
We move bees across the country and from continent to continent, and then are surprised that parasites and diseases spread so rapidly.

We force bees to form larger comb cells than they want to (on the theory that a bigger bee is a better bee) but have no evidence that this makes a bee healthier, we ignore the evidence that this makes it easier for mites to breed in the comb.

We often leave the bees with less food than they need, and then we declare that the substitutes that we provide are just as good (with no real evidence of that).

May the Milk Force be with you.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
I have read  researches in internet which seems to be practical. For instance it is said that vitamins are important but nowhere is said what vitamin and and how much.

http://www.latshawapiaries.com/supplement.htm sells a vitamin and mineral supplement.  Latshaw says he believes this is the first product to address the vitamin and mineral needs of bees, but he does not say on his website the research analysis of the right amounts.

Latshaw supplies breeder queens to Miksa, Koehnen, I think Olivarez too.

Feeding cows grain instead of grass (cows evolved to eat grass, feeding grain requires far more antibiotics,

Corn is a grass.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 09:04:38 pm »
Corn is a grass.

Nope.  Corn is a grain (seed) and the stalk is the grass.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:06 am »
Corn is a grass.

Nope.  Corn is a grain (seed) and the stalk is the grass.

Grain is nutritionally very different from the vegetative part of grasses. Cattle are adapted to eat a bit of grain in the fall, that can help them fatten up for winter. Fattening them up for their entire life is rather unhealthy, just as it is for people.   A high grain diet makes cows very susceptible to E. coli (of interest to people that eat beef, which easily gets contaminated in the slaughter house). It also makes cattle susceptible to other diseases (such as bloat, acidosis, gut lesions, liver abscesses, etc.)... which requires more antibiotics and generates more bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics (not good when those spread to people). And the grain is rich in omega-6 type fats, which are pro-inflammatory. These feed into many chronic diseases including heart disease (the leading killer), diabetes (an emerging epidemic), etc.  Pastured beef is high in omega-3 fats, which are anti-inflammatory and useful in preventing/treating a large number of diseases.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »
Cattle are adapted to eat a bit of grain in the fall

Yeah, the keyword is "adapted".  Make them eat something they were not meant to eat and then shove them full of antibiotics because of the bad side effects.  Makes perfect sense. :roll:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:03 pm »
<Sigh>
This is why every day after work I pull on my deerhide breechcloth and head off into the woods to kill some supper with my bare hands and teeth.

I'd hunt with flints and cook my meat, but that isn't natural.  Those big flint maker guilds and the fire starter guilds have really been pushing so hard for it, but it obviously isn't natural.

Nothing is more natural than a bloody deer steak and some frozen wrinkly elderberries!!
Rick

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 06:21:06 pm »
This was a question about feeding milk to bees.  I'd never heard of it and was enjoying the discussion. 

I'm not sure how "Big Ag" haters (yawn) started grinding their axes.  I'd love the "Big Ag" haters to actually try to live a few years (financially and physically) without anything produced by any "Big *" (*oil, pharmaceuticals, mining, lumber, etc).  Nothing but leather and pelts, no internal combustion engines, no running water, spears or bows and arrows, nothing made of plastic or iron, and definately no medicines.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:20 pm »
I'd love the "Big Ag" haters to actually try to live a few years (financially and physically) without anything produced by any "Big *"

Do you honestly believe we need them?  BTW none of the things you listed are food items.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:31 am »
I listed no food as you're in charge of getting (picking, digging, fishing, hunting) all that, of course there can be nothing from "Big Ag".  If you're going to pay for your food or anything else, you better not be earning money related to anything that is "Big *" (*oil, pharmaceuticals, mining, lumber, etc) related.  That includes businesses the depend on any products or customers who use any products from any of those "Big *" companies  too.  "Big oil" includes electricity so unless you've got a wind farm you're going to have to get off the grid as well.  If one actually followed the anti-Big * lifestyle they'd quickly realize it's not quite the panacea they thought it was, to put it mildly.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:42:55 am by D Coates »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:17 am »

Yeah, the keyword is "adapted".  Make them eat something they were not meant to eat and then shove ...  Makes perfect sense. :roll:

May I adapt to eate Nepal food in Finland?  I started it today. It was spicy hot, and not mentioned at least to children mouth.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »
If you're going to pay for your food or anything else, you better not be earning money related to anything that is "Big *"

Why?  You want to lump them all together.  I don't.  I want to take each individual abuser and trim their tail feathers based on what they do wrong.  Poisoning our food is wrong and it has been proved wrong.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »
This was a question about feeding milk to bees.  I'd never heard of it and was enjoying the discussion.  

I'm not sure how "Big Ag" haters (yawn) started grinding their axes.  I'd love the "Big Ag" haters to actually try to live a few years (financially and physically) without anything produced by any "Big *" (*oil, pharmaceuticals, mining, lumber, etc).  Nothing but leather and pelts, no internal combustion engines, no running water, spears or bows and arrows, nothing made of plastic or iron, and definately no medicines.

That isn't the point at all - I am not arguing against big, I am arguing against bad. One can produce huge amounts of beef on pasture, the cattle will be healthier, the people that eat them will be healthier, the soil and water will be healthier (fertilizer for fields versus feedlot sewage pollution).  The word 'modern' means nothing more that 'the way we do things now' ... sometimes modern is better, sometimes it is worse.

Economic and social forces are real, but they can be at odds with biological reality -- when this happens in beekeeping, bee health and beekeeper economic health will ultimately suffer.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:25 pm »
Why?  You want to lump them all together.  I don't.  I want to take each individual abuser and trim their tail feathers based on what they do wrong.  Poisoning our food is wrong and it has been proved wrong.

Be careful how high you crawl on your soapbox, it appears you're already crawling down.  You say you merely want to "trim tailfeathers" then claim they are poisoners and we don't need them.  It is that inflammatory language that has burned more than one bridge here for you.  When I hear someone using the term "Big *" I hear someone that is convinced there's a conpiracy afoot.  I've found that those who believe this of one "Big *" will lump any other large multinational corporations in the same boat no mater what industry they are in.  Are you saying you only have trouble with "Big Ag" and have no trouble with any of the other "bigs?"  Make sure to answer this one if you respond.

Either way, if you are so convinced your food is being poisoned by "Big Ag" do you do any business with them or anyone else who does?  It sounds like you do.  To me its not logical to do business with someone who you think actually poisoning your food.  To me it's not logical to do business with anyone who deals with someone who's actually poisoning my food.  One can't be half pregnant.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »
Are you saying you only have trouble with "Big Ag" and have no trouble with any of the other "bigs?"  Make sure to answer this one if you respond.

Absolutely not.  It is inherent with becoming big that you no longer care for what happens to your consumer as long as it doesn’t paint a bad name for your empire and you loose it all.  What I am saying is that each Big * has to be watched like a hawk and the ones you catch doing something wrong should be burned.

do you do any business with them or anyone else who does?

I avoid it at all cost but there are some times when you have no choice.  They are poisoning our food supply and if it bothers you that I say it then you must be one of them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
Absolutely not.  It is inherent with becoming big that you no longer care for what happens to your consumer as long as it doesn’t paint a bad name for your empire and you loose it all.  What I am saying is that each Big * has to be watched like a hawk and the ones you catch doing something wrong should be burned.

Who's to be the hawk?  Who's definition of wrong?  What is burned?  It's easy to pass judgement without a defense and internet innuendos.

I avoid it at all cost but there are some times when you have no choice.  They are poisoning our food supply and if it bothers you that I say it then you must be one of them.

Oh, we always have a choice.  The only two things we all have to do is die and pay taxes.  Yep, I'm one of them, you got me.  I'm trying to poison my wonderful wife, and 6 and 11 year old children...  There's that inflammatory garbage again.  Crawl as high on your soapbox as you wish, it only makes it easier for the world to knock you off.  Negative is everywhere in life and some people thrive on it thinking it gives them a purpose when it only drags them and those who let it down.  It is when you can find the less obvious but more numerous positives in life that you'll learn to enjoy life.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »
What bees do not do, it to tickle cows tits and drink milk.
Spew alert! Ahhhh, there's a line for the history books. And probably something we can ALL agree on!  :-D
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »
Are you saying you only have trouble with "Big Ag" and have no trouble with any of the other "bigs?"  Make sure to answer this one if you respond.

do you do any business with them or anyone else who does?

Puh-lease. Not again. While "big" may often lead to problems, it is not "inherent." And to say that anyone who questions your opinions must be "one of them" is ridiculous logic. It could be that someone who questions you thinks you are a conspiracy theorist, is bored, couldn't care less or any of another 100 options...

I would probably agree with a lot of what you say about big ag, but what does that have to do with this particular conversation?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:31 pm »
Are you afraid of looking facts.

First is that 50% of it's weight is lactose.  

The rest is good protein, very near of bees' needs, but there is a lack of one amino acid .

Optimum need of aminoacids of bees
and amount in scimmed milk and percentage of needed

5,3..... 3,3 Arginine 62 %
2,5.....  2,6 Histidine 104 %
5,1 ..... 4,3 Isoleucine 84 %
7,1.....  9,2 Leucine 130 %
6,4.....  7,8 Lysine 122 %
1,9.....  2,5 Methionine 132 %
4,1.....  5,6 Phenyalalamine 137 %
4,1.....  4,5 Threomine 110 %
1,4 ..... it is, but not seen Trypotophane
5,8 ..... 5,7 Valine 98 %

Scimmed milk is very expencive compared to GM soya and dried yeast.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:13:06 am by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 12:09:47 am »
Have some one feeded to bees slices of cheese as pollen substitutue? Probably yes.
Beeks try everything. Yoghurt is surely tastier because it has 15% cane sugar and
allowed fruit like aromas.

Have you tried Coca Cola to bees? As fas as I know, Africanized bee likes it.

Some here want to make heroin honey and then we wonder, where have bees disapeared?