Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: From Possum Box to the Hive?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
From Possum Box to the Hive?
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:36:12 am »
I am off to look at a possum box full o bees the owners wants gone. Is the procedure to open the possum box and empty the bees into a hive with frames/foundation that i will take with me? I might be able to find a frame of honey at home from an existing hive...otherwise how to bring the brood and honey from the possum box to the hive???

Should i consider cutting and wiring the comb from the possum box into frames?

Do all of this at the place or bring it all home and try this at home?

Appreciate any tips :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: From Possum Box to the Hive?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:06:39 am »
I was faced with a possum box late summer which I didn't grab in the end, but the plan was to suspend the box with a rope over a branch above the box then lever it off the tree. Once the box was suspended by the rope, bag it with something like a large feed bag, or shade cloth then lower it to the ground and remove. With a variation of leaving the box on the ground to allow the foragers time to return home before bagging it at night and removing.

My plan was to remove the hive in the box then transfer them into frames in the comfort of a new location where you don't have nervous neighbours to worry about, and in my own sweet time. That way also you're not pressured to get it done fast and potentially make mistakes.

Previous post

Need a hand?  ;)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »
Yeah i think i will take it home and try this at home. I havent tried it before so in front of others doesnt sound that attractive. The wife will help, the tricky bit, as far as i can tell, is getting the box from the tree to the ground.

The possum box has tipped over 45o i think this because of the weight and is now face down on a branch...the comb is hanging out of the entrance about 150mm.

I think i will get it down, wrap it and chuck it in the trailer and off home to transfer to hive at weekend.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:40:11 pm »
For people who don't know, can you explain to us on the other side of the planet, what does a possum box look like and what does it do?  I just gotta know.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »
a possum is a small native noctural tree living Australian marsupial about the size of a small cat. They live mostly on stealing the fruit off the trees in your garden  :-x with some dietry suppliment of the flowers you planted for the bees. They used to live in hollows in trees but now prefer to live in the roof space of your house and run around on top of your ceiling wearing army boots during the night. Their territorial calls at 2am include loud hissing and clicks.

To encourage them to live in the trees instead of your roof people construct a box about the size of a large letter box for them to live in. Once hung in a tree I'm finding they make the most marvelous swarm trap.  :)

This site has some pictures of both possums and boxes.

http://geographelandcarenursery.mysouthwest.com.au/Revegetation/Nest%20Boxes

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:52:55 am »
Who knew there were so many different types of possums (and opossums)? Great houses, Pete, I'm so glad Allen asked the question.

Possum stew anyone?  :-P

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »
Possum stew anyone?  Dude, stay away from that roadkill. :-D

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »
Possum stew anyone?  Dude, stay away from that roadkill. :-D

:-D :-D :-D
But Dude, I am a Chick!

Wikipedia says oppossums were possibly introduced to the Western US as a food source. I seem to recall Granma talking about possum stew, and I definitely read about settlers eating it. EW. Hope Granma was joking.

Pete--awesome pictures! And for you in Australia, it's early Spring, right? So this is a good time to move the hive?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:24:12 pm »
i have a very old cookbook that tells how to cook all kinds of critters.  it even gives instructions for how to cook young, old, or road killed animals. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »
Note that the Possum and the Oppussom is quite different. Your oppossum looks a bit bitey, out possum isnt, bit scratchy on the big ones but our little ring tails are really cool ones.

Notice that in the US many many people have Sugar Glidersas pets, but here rarely seen absolutely illegal to keep as pets.

I have a date with the bees on Sat, yes you are right its the first 2 weeks of spring here. The hive must be moved or the lady will have it gassed, its right at her back door...she was pretty brave, stuck he camera and giant flash into the front of the hive and took some snaps, she notced this aggravated them a bit :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
I'm missing something here, where are the photos?  :?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:35 am »
 :oops: :oops: :oops: Ok the link I posted.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
Hey groovers, so the decoy (wife) and I went and grabbed this possum box rom the tree. Pretty simple to get down. Once on the ground we took the lid off to have a quick look and werent surprised to find it completely full of bees and comb. Wrapped it in blanket and put it on the trailer to take home.

At home we pulled it apart and cut the comb into frames and cable ties them in. I think we got 5 or 6 really full frames of brood, drone comb and honey.

The bees were friendly and fairly small, there was loads of drones and we couldnt find the queen. But pretty sure she ended up in the new hive as all the bees on the ground all walked in there without having to be told to :)

I think we will end up with a good 1 litre of honey and a big pile of wax from the left overs and i will keep the possum box as a swarm lure/trap...I will just hinge he lid. Honey was amazing, not sure if it legitimately tastes good or it tastes good cos you just spent 4 hours getting it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:22:33 pm by Pete »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »
very nice!  and the answer to your question about taste?  both.   :-D  i do think the hard work makes it taste better.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »
Great pictures! I'm sure it tastes great. Next, you'll have to let us know how Kathy's Possum Stew turned out.  :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 10:56:23 pm »
Feel proud...feel very, very proud!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:45 am »
Thanks yeah we are pretty pleased without ourselves. All the honey is gone, bar one jar fr us. We gave it away to all of the neighbors...kids loved giving it and the neighbours loved getting it. I am thinking of this as an investment in their tolerance of my bees (and ducks n chooks)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 10:21:51 pm »
Congratulations! The first time is always an eye opener. :)