Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Are You Wearing?  (Read 9058 times)

Offline PeskySquirrel

• New Bee
What Are You Wearing?
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:52:03 am »
The amount of protective clothing a beekeeper wears seems to be as varied as the opinions about which type of top feeding works best. I'm a newbee and I don't want to wear (or purchase) more than I need, but I'm wondering what everyone wears for protective clothing. How 'bout a quick poll? What protective clothing do you wear when you work your bees?

A. Nothing
B. Hat and Veil
C. Jacket + Hat and Veil
D. Full suit + Hat and Veil

1. I also wear Gloves
2. I don't wear Gloves

Right now I'm set up with "B2" (that is, Hat and Veil and no Gloves). I'm wondering if I should also invest in a jacket or suit.

This might be a silly question. Maybe the answer isn't so simple, and it varies based on the time of year, the activity of the bees, weather, food stores, etc. Anyway I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.

Thank you.

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: What Are You Wearing?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:55:12 am »
I have a black and yellow striped tshirt and matching pants I wear at the hives.

Black and yellow suits a fellow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:36:04 pm by Bennettoid »

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:36 pm »
try going to menardes or homedepot and buy a paint suit ,,one of those paper ones ,, thats what a lot of keepers are useing for bee suits ,, you have the vail so try a paper suit ,if it dont work for you your only out 6 bucks and you can use the suit some other time...  you will find the girls more in the stinging mood ,in the fall when they are protecting stores ,,,
the kid

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:39:52 pm »
i use a jacket hat veil and sometimes nitrile gloves. if i am digging in i go with the gloves. when i get stung i swell up and i don't want the temporary inability to use my hands.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:47:49 pm »
I try to use nothing but smoke. I own a veil and gloves and use occassionally. I am pricing out a jacket, as my apiary is expanding which means I need to do work on hives even when they are testy. As a hobbiest, if they are having a bad day, i get beer and leave them be. I come back another day. W/ expansion, I will be losing this luxury.
I hate bees in my face, and they seem to like me too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:48:41 pm »
I'm protected head to toe when I got out there.  :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline shawnwri

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
Depends on the season.  Honey harvest (full suit, veil, boots, and gloves) but I do a primative form of harvest by just opening the hive and shaking the bees off the frames.  Early sping with a new package, just a veil.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »
I admit that I am a wimp when it comes to bee stings. I dress up head to toe with all protective gear. D1 is the answer for me

Annette

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:34:23 pm »
i picked up a jacket with attached veil - i figure it has the best chance of minimizing the number of bees that get in the veil and the jacket will protect my arms.  i didn't want a jump siut since it gets pretty humid in Maryland come August.

-Steve

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »
Whewwee!  Tried it once with just a veil and gloves....by time the hubbub died down, and I got the charges dropped, the stings had faded away!  The neighbors still won't talk to me, and my wife was furious for a long time.

Since then I make sure I have pants and a shirt on too... :-D
Rick

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:38:50 pm »
Nothing until recently, now a veil.

oh, and my socks.  :)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 01:52:47 pm »
I really like the pull over veil/shirt combo-it is easy on easy off. Gloves are good as girls can be (as all us girls) moody. make sure you get the ankle straps tho' if you go with just pants as those lil buggers like to climb up your legs.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:25 pm »
Usually B1: Hat & veil, no gloves. I picked up a few white shirts at the thrift store that I wear. I usually take gloves with me - just in case the girls are a bit testy. I also have a couple of those paper-painter outfits that I've used when I've had to do extensive manipulation on a day when the girls are extra grouchy.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 02:16:20 pm »
I really like the pull over veil/shirt combo-it is easy on easy off. Gloves are good as girls can be (as all us girls) moody. make sure you get the ankle straps tho' if you go with just pants as those lil buggers like to climb up your legs.

Where did you purchase yours and what is the exact brand/type etc.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:33 pm »
Well after the last little bee got me I stopped by the ER to see the doctor that I ordered a hive for. I showed him my popeye arm and he said I am a good canidate for extreme allergic reaction to the next. I guess Ill be wearing my complete English suit, gloves and boots.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 02:38:04 pm »
Nothing until recently, now a veil.

oh, and my socks.  :)

Hee Hee now that makes for an interesting Far-Side type picture in my sick little mind!!  Wouldn't get too warm that way!  Sorry! :lol:
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »
D1 for me - suit, zipon veil and hat, gloves, socks tennis shoes.  I've just ordered some Dadant kid sized gloves because I'm tired of having an extra 1 1/2 inch of finger in my old gloves - tired of being an awkward, well-covered beekeeper!

Linda T well-covered in Atlanta

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »
B2

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 04:11:15 pm »
B - hat and veil
2 - no gloves (too clumsy with gloves on.)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 04:34:46 pm »
jacket with the attached veil, no gloves. Dont think anybody in jamaica goes into an apiary without at least their veil. Well except for those ignoramuses who think thwey can pop the top and retreat before the bees get them., of course with the 1st sting they stop running and start flapping their arms. You know what happens next. The rest of the posse arrives :evil:

anything