Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They're all dead (very sad)  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
They're all dead (very sad)
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:25 pm »
Last night I picked up 3 new nucs. I got home late and it was rather cool last night so I kept them in the truck.

This morning, I took the bees to the apriary and began transferring them to hives.  The last, and best, of the 3, the one that was fullest of brood, was dead. All dead. They looked like they were soaking wet, dark brown. I think they overheated but I'm not sure how. I found the poor dead queen.  There were 3 full (both sides) frames of brood in this nuc too which I assume are all dead too. 

I'm so sad. :(

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: They're all dead (very sad)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:19:35 pm »
That really stinks. Are you sure they were alive when you picked them up?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »
If it was cool last night the condensation falling on them may have killed them. Not sure if that is what happened or not but sorry for your loss.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:08 pm »
If you have brood in the frames take the frames out and put them in the hives that lived. You might be able to salvage some of the brood. The other hives will do what they can with them. Good Luck.

Dennis

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »
That really stinks. Are you sure they were alive when you picked them up?

Definitely. I was there when we packed up the frames. They were doing great.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:01 pm »
First of all, I am sorry for your loss.  When you say that you left them in the truck, was that in the cab, in the garage, in the bed, in the garage?  In other words, what temps. did they encounter?  Just curious. 

Dave

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:06 am »
First of all, I am sorry for your loss.  When you say that you left them in the truck, was that in the cab, in the garage, in the bed, in the garage?  In other words, what temps. did they encounter?  Just curious. 

Dave

It was in a BMW X5 so it was inside. But it was pretty cool last night, shouldn't have gotten very warm.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:33:38 am »
that doesn't seem right.  even if they got a little wet, you  shouldn't have found the entire hive dead.  it wasn't cold enough to freeze?  water would have to soak the whole cluster to kill them all i'd think.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:08 am »
Sorry for your loss.  Shame that.  :'(

Now, define "cool".  Was it after sunset and what was the temp right when you left them?   If you had them inside the SUV (BMW truck?? ;)) I'm assuming it was 100% sealed so that they could not escape.  Bees do generate a lot of heat & some moisture.  If that was the strongest nuc = most bees = most heat.  I know the migratory beeks use screens, not tarps over their semi-trailer loads of stacked 4-way clip pallets.  Tarps would cook the bees in all but quite cold temps (guessing above ~50°F), so I've been told.  Was there any ventilation holes/screens in the nuc?

My guess is they got the slow rice-cooker treatment.  Steamed bees.  :-P

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:43:11 am »
Yes, we've been cool here in MI, at least one night with frost, but nothing that a 3-5 frame nuc couldn't handle outside.

I agree with Dane....that the nucs were shut up to keep them from escaping into the vehicle.  You don't ever want to leave a hive closed up for more than a short period of time without ventilation regardless of the ambient temperature. There is a reason that packages come fully screened, and if beekeepers ever move a lot of hives or packages on an enclosed truck then they have to use a refrigerated truck.

In the meantime...it really stinks to deal with.  You can 'fess up to the person you got them from and beg for mercy....

Rick
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:50:30 pm by Scadsobees »
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:39 am »
Draginol, that is a real bummer and I feel for you, loss of bees makes us feel terrible.  I would be curious how these bees were closed up for transit.  They need ventilation, no doubt.  What was used to close them up?  I think that they got too wet from condensation, not overheating or chilling.  Do as another suggested, give the brood to another colony, this brood may still be OK.

When I made my nucs when they were getting ready for transport this is what I did.  Was something similar done to your nucs (for ventiliation purposes).

I got a piece of hardware cloth and pushed it into the opening at the bottom front, allows for lots of air movement into the colony and the slot on the inner cover had a tiny piece of the hardware cloth put in it too.  This provides fresh air to move in the bottom and the release of any moisture from the  bees to  be released out the top.  Define how your nucs were closed up.  Hoping you are feeling a little bit better today, it is a hard thing of these losses, I know.  Have the best of a great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:18:55 am »
Well, it sure wasn't the cold.  A decent swarm could have hung on a limb overnight and survived.  I would say they asphyxiated.  Probably packed too tight and sealed to well.  The moisture was likely honey they regurgitated.  Transport boxes generally need a lot of screened space if the bees aren't free to fly.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:20:18 pm »
sorry to hear about your loss....
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:17:36 pm »

Dave

They were in the cab, outside, it was about 40 degrees that night.  I would never have thought they would overheat.  The nuc was a stryofoam one.

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 11:21:29 pm »
Draginol, that is a real bummer and I feel for you, loss of bees makes us feel terrible.  I would be curious how these bees were closed up for transit.  They need ventilation, no doubt.  What was used to close them up?  I think that they got too wet from condensation, not overheating or chilling.  Do as another suggested, give the brood to another colony, this brood may still be OK.

When I made my nucs when they were getting ready for transport this is what I did.  Was something similar done to your nucs (for ventiliation purposes).

I got a piece of hardware cloth and pushed it into the opening at the bottom front, allows for lots of air movement into the colony and the slot on the inner cover had a tiny piece of the hardware cloth put in it too.  This provides fresh air to move in the bottom and the release of any moisture from the  bees to  be released out the top.  Define how your nucs were closed up.  Hoping you are feeling a little bit better today, it is a hard thing of these losses, I know.  Have the best of a great day, Cindi

Yea, the nuc had ventilation in the form of screen holes and such.  The other two nucs (one wooden and the other styrofoam) were fine. But this one was the one with the most brood.  They were in my X5 (it's an SUV) in the back. That night was pretty cool (around 40 degrees).  I left them in there since I had gotten back from the farm pretty late and took them to my bee yard first thing next morning.

When I looked in on them, they looked like they were soaked and were virtually all dead (even found the dead queen).  Very upsetting (especially since I'm pretty much in this to take care of bees, I don't really care about the honey or such, I just like the beekeeping aspect).

anything